Google Main Campus

Google Main Campus Mountain View Reviews

kumikob kumikob
Free Food & Google Bikes - Inside Report from Google Campus Feb 05, 2011
Free Food & Google Bikes - Inside Report from Google Campus:

Most people, myself included, are generally considered lucky if they can work in a place with a cafeteria (even though it sometimes means putting up with lousy food). At Google, not only food is good and plentiful, they are diverse in variety, health conscious, and best of all, completely free for employees and their guests.

The large area is filled with people lining up for various sections: Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, burgers, salad bar, dessert, etc, etc... I got so excited... wish I had a bigger stomach.. they even had Google ice cream. I mean, you shouldn't expect a five-star restaurant level food, but the thing is, if you don't like something, there are tons of other choices to go back without emptying your wallet. Now that's tough to beat, isn't it?

We ate at the main (the largest) cafeteria, but there were many smaller ones all over the campus. In addition, there was a smoothy counter (it was so tasty!) and every office area was equipped with a "snack & beverage" corner where you can grab bars, sushi, cookies and sorts to munch while you work.

The cafeteria is open late, so many employees eat dinners also. Think about the saving on food cost (and this means a lot in California)! I was so envious, not so much because they are free, but you don't have to cook at all (lol)!

The company is aptly called "campus" - it was as if I stepped into a clean and modern university - young employees in jeans (many of them are Asians and Indians) walking or riding the "Google bikes (they are found all over the campus and can be dropped at their destination") - On the day of my visit, there was a queue of employees trying to receive a free bike helmet.

We stopped at the company gift shop, too. The employees get 20% discount. I bought a keychain, a notebook, and a cute mock-gray short-sleeve hooded top. I get lots of compliment for it. I believe there is an online store, too.

Since YouTube is now part of Google, we stopped at their cafeteria on the next day. Not as impressive as Google's, but the food was excellent.

What a company! There are many more perks working for the company and I am not supposed to expose some of them. One thing for certain, though. If you are just out of college and Google is your first employer, you have NO idea how lucky you are compared to the rest of us less fortunate souls...
A Google bike and a helmet
Me and my daughter - she's was sti…
Eric says:
Cool review. Definitely would be an awesome place to visit one day. Maybe they will see the glowing compliments and send more visitors to TravBuddy :P
Posted on: Feb 06, 2011
montecarlostar says:
Great review Kumiko! Thanks for sharing, this was definitively very interesting, cheers and congrats to your husband for having that work!
Posted on: Feb 06, 2011
kumikob says:
Ha ha I wish.. no, my husband does.
Posted on: Feb 04, 2011
kevinw83 kevinw83
Mar 10, 2006
If anyone can get an employee to invite you guys for a meal, consider yourself lucky... Google is the place for free, high quality food. I was lucky enough to get a tour of most of the cafeterias at Google, and they got it all. Every serving area was serving different, delectable food, and there were tons of employees chillin and havin a good time. You'll definitely never complain of lack of variety. Also, we're not talking about your typical pizza and salad bar type food, either. This place had the goods, including very appetizing salads, sushi bar, Asian food center, etc. Also, they offer a "healthy diner's choice" sample plate out everyday so you can try to stay healthy and avoid premature death.Go check it out. It's worth it.
dreamtourist says:
Loved all pics...amazing!
Posted on: Feb 03, 2011
angie says:
I heard they hire really awesome gourmet cooks for their cafeteria...
Posted on: Mar 19, 2006
Eric says:
I heard their cook used to tour with the grateful dead...
Posted on: Mar 16, 2006