Gonzalez Y Gonzales

(212) 473-8787

Gonzalez Y Gonzales New York Reviews

Transitory Transito…
gonzalez y gonzales Aug 12, 2009
Located right on Broadway, among a bunch of shops, gonzalez y gonzalez does not have the most gracious setting. Yet the setting is perfect for the sort of place gonzalez is, a tacky energetic fun but not hyper-stylish sort of restaurant/bar.

The entrance has a streaming technicolor banner of lights that would seem at home in Times Square. Inside there are colored paper lanterns, multi-colored fairy lights, it's crazy festive.

The music is loud, not great for conversation but perfect for their salsa dancing nights. At the bar the t.v. streams sports. I think it suffers a bit from trying to do a few too many things at once, place for girls to hang out and be picked up, place for couples, place for people to watch sports, dancing, trying to have homey food etc. But overall, it sort of works as the service is friendly and non-pushy.

The food was on the bland side. I had cebiche, a huge portion of lots of monkfish, shrimp, with slices of advocado, etc. It was fine, it didn't bowl me over. The horchata reminded me a bit of children's liquid medicine, way too artificially sweet tasting. Our group's margaritas and mango martinis were good. One friend claimed food poisoning but enjoyed her food when she ate it. The other dishes, empanadas, fajitas, steak, were all right. The food was not exceptional, wasn't very flavorful. Even the tortilla chips and salsa was too mild.

I would not profess to know Mexican food very well, just a few places in Sunset Park Brooklyn and friends' mommas' cooking, and this was nowhere near that level, so certainly not authentic. Honestly, I've had more flavorful at chain places like Taco Bell and Yummy Taco then at my visit here, so certainly not even really tasty in that guilty fast food junk way. Additionally, there were silly extra costs for things like sour cream.

Still has a great vibe to the place though with fun cute decor and was affordable. Dishes ranged around $8-25.

Really, I would only go here again if I was in the neighborhood and someone else wanted to go.

Check New York Hotel Deals