Gonpachi (Japanese)

Gonpachi (Japanese) - open kitchen

Gonpachi (Japanese) Nishi-Azabu Reviews

pammy_robertson pammy_ro…
Nice traditional restuarant Dec 11, 2014
We didn't make a reservation for this place and unfortunately we had to wait 30-45mins for a table, it was crazy busy even on a wednesday night. After asking the service, they took us to the bar seats that overlook the open kitchen, this was cool as it's interesting to watch them prepare the dishes.

The interior is very traditional and apparantly is what Kill Bill movie is based on. There is loads of famous people who have eaten here.

I ordered the crab tempura, some chicken wings and then had a rice bowl with chicken. some saki and umeshu. The food i thought was great thoroughly enjoyed it. The only downside was they were quite slow in bringing our main courses.

All in we paid about 2500yen to me that's super cheap but the yen is low now so think I got good value for money. I would recommend making a reservation.
crab tempura
open kitchen
restaurant interior
lisa lisa
Apr 18, 2007
Gonpachi is a great place to take visitors when they are visiting Japan. It's filled with tourists, but I wouldn't call it a tourist trap. They have a huge variety of food, served tapas style, so you can try a bunch of different plates. The building looks like an old samurai castle, and the inside is adorned with the traditional Japanese elements of natural wood, paper lanterns, and bamboo. Overall you get a very "Japanese" type of experience. The atmosphere and food have a trendy flair to them, but they still do a great job of executing down-to-earth comfort Japanese food. You can watch them roll out fresh soba noodles on the spot. Their yakitori (grilled meats and vegetables on a skewer) are delicious. I especially like the grilled eringi, a buttery fleshy Japanese mushroom. As an omnivore I used to love the tsukune (chicken meatball) and bacon-wrapped asparagus. Try their more unique dishes and you won't be disappointed either. Last time I had a crab cake that was covered in noodle needles, and it looked like a scary porcupine ball, but it was delicious!

There are several locations, but I've only been to the one in Nishi-Azabu. Supposedly President Bush went there. whoopee. Make reservations. Stop by Shibuya or Roppongi afterwards, which are within walking distance along the main road.

I heard a Gonpachi has opened up in LA on La Cienega. The company, Global Dining, also has a Monsoon in Santa Monica.
vaniljesukker says:
Looking forward to eating there =P
Posted on: Jun 03, 2007
chinorockwell says:
mmmmmm yakitori.

don't forget that "Kill Bill" was supposedly filmed there.
Posted on: Apr 16, 2007