Goldwasser

58 301 88 78

Goldwasser Gdansk Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Goldwasser restaurant Aug 28, 2013
Goldwasser is a posh restaurant on the waterfront in Gdansk. It is also the name of a traditional spirit, from when Gdansk was called Danzig, which is a sort of very strong spirit with gold flakes in it. I ate in the restaurant, but didn’t try the spirit.

The food in the restaurant is absolutely excellent. There is a good variety of steaks and my favourite thing was the duck; most of the food is quite heavy and rich. I didn’t notice if there were vegetarian options, but I got the impression the staff would do their best if you asked them nicely. Everything we ate was incredible, and the service was really brilliant. I liked that the waiter didn’t mind explaining to us about the wine. Specifically it’s the first time anyone has ever explained what we are looking for when they offer us a look at the cork – apparently if the wine is more than a couple of millimetres up the cork, or the cork smells of wood, the wine is off. Explaining that in a posh restaurant, in a non-patronising way, in your second or third language is really good. We really felt very spoiled. The location is great too; right on the old harbourfront, close to the maritime museum. It is a very romantic location for a special meal.

It’s very expensive by Polish standards, so I’d save it for a treat. Actually, it was pretty dear even by British standards, but that’s possibly because I got carried away ordering the nice wine. Dinner for two, three courses and wine came to a chunk over the equivalent of £100. But it's worth it for a treat if you can.

Check Gdansk Hotel Deals