Gogol's National Museum and Reserve

  based on 1 review   write a review

The village of Gogoleve, Myrhorod, Ukraine

Gogol's National Museum and Reserve Myrhorod Reviews

vicIII vicIII
324 reviews
A Day Trip to Gogol's Places Mar 10, 2017
We managed to take a bus tour to the village of Gogoleve located in the neighboring district to visit Gogol's House Museum.

Nikolai Gogol National Museum is located in the village of Gogolevo Shyshaky District of Poltava region. It was dedicated in 1984 to mark the 175th anniversary of the writer's birth. The museum occupies an area of 30 hectares. It belongs to top ten Ukrainian museums.

The family estate of the Gogol-Yanovskys has not survived in its original form. The original house was almost completely destroyed during World War II. The estate was reproduced from photographs, plans, drawings, letters and memoirs of contemporaries. The ponds, the garden and the romantic grotto on the shore of the pond were renovated as well.

Today, Gogol's National Museum and Reserve is a complex of architectural and natural sites in an area of 40 hectares.

It includes the house of Gogol’s parents, an outbuilding, a grotto, a garden park and a pond.

The parents' house includes 10 showrooms. The exhibition gives us an opportunity to plunge into the past and to feel the spirit of the era in which the Gogols lived.

Here you will also learn about the literary work of Nikolai Gogol, the formation of his identity as a writer.

The exposition of the opening hall has an exhibition "Gogol and modernity. World significance of the writer’s literary activities".

The outbuilding was designed in the form of ancient Ukrainian hut with a roof of reeds.

During our visit of Nikolai Gogol's National Museum that is located in the village of Gogolevo Shyshaky District of Poltava region, we were taken for a walk to Gogol’s Park. The park is a nice place to enjoy the nature and to ponder. There is a wooden gazebo on a low hill, and a little farther we saw a grotto. The family called it "the temple of solitude." Beside the grotto there lies a large stone, where the great writer used to sit contemplating his works.

A track brings you to the tomb of the writer’s parents. They were buried in the courtyard of a church that stood on the territory of the Gogols estate. The church was called the Church of Nativity of Our Lady. It was built in 1821 on the Gogols’ donations. Later it housed a Parish School.

Regrettably, the church was demolished by the Communists in 1959 during the second wave of their atheist campaign.
Walking towards Gogl Museum Complex
Nikolai Gogol National Museum
Nikolai Gogol National Museum: the…
Nikolai Gogol National Museum: the…
Link
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
Myrhorod Map
1 review
Myrhorod