God’s Creation Wildlife Museum

111 West Water St , Plymouth, NC, USA
wildlifemuseum.net - (252) 793-6600
God’s Creation Wildlife Museum - An unfortunate black bear, shot locally Notice the biblical quotation behind?  There were many of these.
God’s Creation Wildlife Museum - The sign says 'Wildlife Museum', but a more accurate caption would be 'No longer Live'...
God’s Creation Wildlife Museum - Dead critters.
God’s Creation Wildlife Museum - Sorry I took a few photos - it was largely ennui as I was trapped with a helpful attendant.
God’s Creation Wildlife Museum - Of course Africa holds great interest for any big game hunter...and one of the rooms was solely the bloody harvest from that continent.
God’s Creation Wildlife Museum - Birds do not escape the slaughter.
God’s Creation Wildlife Museum - At least there is a boat in this picture.

God’s Creation Wildlife Museum Plymouth Reviews

vances vances
Lots of stuff... Jun 06, 2015
At times my penchant for roadside attractions gets me in trouble. I was strolling back across town from the Roanoke River Lighthouse and said hello to an elderly gentleman standing on the sidewalk. He graciously invited me to come inside the museum because there was no charge today (normally $2 for Adults, $1 for Children 6-11 and free under 6). What? Another museum?

Downtown Plymouth is one street about four blocks long, but every building seems to be a museum. Well, at least the buildings that are functioning. Sadly, I would guess 40% of these structures are boarded up and/or uninhabited. The Wildlife Museum, however, was well maintained and open for business. The attendant seemed lonely and his museum empty, so in I went.

Initially intrigued, I was quickly disenchanted to understand this was little else beyond a trophy case for the local big game hunter. Worse yet, the attendant personally accompanied me so there was no polite way to scurry through and make a quick exit. The saving grace was the museum’s petite size – only three rooms. Before we even made it through the first one, however, about eight other folks came in and I regretted my poor luck at being the only one consigned to a “guided” tour.

The attendant was very nice, and we managed to find random things to banter about as we s-l-o-w-l-y navigated the rooms of stuffed animals. Turns out these were all bagged by the proprietor, Tom Harrison. My guide repeated the name often and it got stuck in my mind, which was actually fortuitous. I later learned the Black Bear festival was an initiative of the county Travel & Tourism Board, of which Mr. Harrison is president.

Perhaps a saving grace, but I still cannot recommend this venue. Killing animals as a hobby is personally offensive, and the museum is blanketed with Biblical quotes, somehow attempting to suggest the slaughter is done for God’s glory? Though the name on the building states “Wildlife Museum and Gallery”, their official name is “God’s Creation Wildlife Museum”. So, a monument to destroying these creations?

I strive to be secular, so despite the low rating I recognize others may enjoy. But at a minimum, unlike me, you will know what to expect when you enter this “wildlife museum”.
The sign says "Wildlife Museum", b…
An unfortunate black bear, shot lo…
Dead critters.
More dead critters
EmyG says:
creepy place
jethanad says:
:) thanks for the heads up - I am vegetarian
rsvpme says:
A museum dedicated to the finishing of life.....a celebration of how.....sprinkled with biblical quotes. Some things do not deserve comments because they illustrate the minds behind.

Check Plymouth Hotel Deals