Global Village Backpackers

Check Toronto Hotel Deals

Global Village Backpackers Toronto Reviews

Jason24 Jason24
Distinct and Charming Jan 22, 2013
I wish I could give this more than an average rating! But I can't honestly. I enjoyed my stay. The Irish girl checking us in was exceptionally friendly and helpful, giving a warm reception.

It is cheap, which drew me, and when I pay cheap I cannot ask for modern new facilities. The place is definitely on the old side and so its not perfect,but my bed slept well, clean sheets and towels were provided and hot showers with actual changing room behind the shower stall door, which is a luxury! Free breakfast is definitely a plus,free,fast WiFi, free computer use, and right downtown! The bar is unique and cool, and is open till 2:00 A.M., so you may wish to consider that if you cannot sleep through noise.

The tram car stops right at the corner so you can easily go any direction, including to the subway station.Shopper's drugstore, 1 block east sells day passes for the Toronto Transit System.

I would definitely stay here again!
Global Village Backpacker's Hostel…
sylviandavid says:
Dispite it's age it appears it has several good points too.
kasra1978 kasra1978
Global Village Backpacker Mar 24, 2012
As a Toronto local I have not stayed at the global village backpackers but the location is amazing.

its very close to everything downtown and convenient for nightlife as well.

Gouramand, a very decent coffee shop is just down the street. so is Jules Bistro, one of my favorite restaurants. location is fantastic.

Toronto is an interesting place. you have to know where to go and there is abundance of things to do which may or may not be scattered all around the city.

This location serves the best of all worlds.

Enjoy your time in Toronto and many happy travels.
dannyrock4 dannyroc…
Cheap Hostel Feb 20, 2011
The value of this hostel is good, its pretty cheap compaired to other hostels in the area. It is close to all major attractions, downtown Toronto. One thing I look for when staying in a hostel is the cleanliness of the bathrooms, I have to say, this was spot on, very well looked after, as for the dorm room I stayed in, it hafd this weird smell, that we just couldn't get rid off. The bed was the worst thing, everytime you turned onver it sqeeked, so annoing, keep waking me, I was on the top bunk, dodnt like this at all, they need new beds!! They had there own bar, which was fairly cheap and a great way to meet other travellers and every night of the week there was always some kind of entertainment. Staff were also very friendly when checking in and helping us locate places around the city.
Jason24 says:
very well said!
dyevushka dyevushka
Misleading winter ads and very little maintanence Apr 08, 2009
Reservations were easy via their website, and the staff at the front desk were always smiling, polite, and helpful. Their advertized pancake breakfast was nice to wake up to each morning. They even had live music one night.

However, since I went in April (before the summer season apparently begins), there was false advertizing saying that they had a restaurant open at night - they do not have that except in summer months. They did not have (or at least maintain) any sort of "lights out at 11pm" rules, and the bathrooms looked as if they were only cleaned once a week (if you go here make SURE you bring flipflops for your lousy shower experience. Showers only allow you to choose hot or cold water - not both. The computers' internet is advertized as free but you have to pay $1 CAN for each 15 minute segment (Wi-fi is free if you carry a laptop).

I stayed 2 nights. On the second night I returned home late (about 12:30 and found that someone in my 8-girl dorm had removed all of my bedclothes and books to the shelf, and had made up my bed and put her things on it. After sleepily wandering up and down the stairs to talk to the night guy at the front, I finally figured out that the last inhabitant hadn't removed her sheets, so the newcomer felt free to remove my things. I had to remove another visitor's sheets (gross) and make up my bed at 1am. I think that if this had not happened, I could write a better review - but all the girls in the room said that a staff member had given them the ok. I shrugged it off because I'm a no-drama type of girl, but I can't give a positive reccomendation for GBV.
The lobby at GVB
sylviandavid says:
Holy smokes.... that was negligent of the staff to allow it.... you should have gotten a free night out of that stay!
JaitcH JaitcH
Noisy intersection outside even noisier inside. Dec 24, 2008
This place is located in a very old building that is waiting for the wreckers demolition ball to knock it down.

They only take people with credit cards and boy, do they know how to nickle and dime you to death.

The rooms vary in bed density and size starting with a double and increasing to a crowded dorm.

The age of the building, together with the amount of wood and the poor condition of the building suggests it would be hard to evacuate in the case of a fire.

Sleeplessness is guaranteed between 05.30 and 02.00H, that is starting at 05.30H and lasting all day until 02.00H the next morning, as the streetcars on Spadina and King screech their wheels as they travel through the intersection. Streetcar track intersections are very noisy as the 'clunk's of the 80 ton vehicles crossing the rails penetrates adjacent buildings. The hostel has single glass so noise levels are high in the rooms.

But not to worry, the noise emanating from the hostel bar drowns out most other noise in the building during its operating hours. The fumes from the kitchen penetrate many of the rooms and the rank smell of stale grease is very noticeable.

Between 09.00H and 11.00H scruffy souls, obviously just having fallen out of bed, were wandering around the lobby, seemingly sleep walking, in search for breakfast, a drink or more.

Security *appears* to be good with a card-operated ellectric lock on the front door and a few cameras dotted around. In practicality it means that you can acutually bring in unregistered guests who can sleep in unoccupied beds provided they leave before 07.00H when the staff appear. This is *not* good security. Room door locks are not good, either.

Suggest that unless you are a party animal, with money, you pass on to better places.

Check Toronto Hotel Deals