Glitz Bangkok Hotel

Check Bangkok Hotel Deals

Glitz Bangkok Hotel Reviews

geek_goddess_jolie geek_god…
Cute Boutique Hotel in the heart of the city Oct 30, 2009
For my first time in Bangkok, I was eager to book a nice basic hotel that was in the center of all the action. So I chanced upon this new one, Glitz Hotel, right in Silom -- in the middle of Sukhumvit & Pratunam and near the temples & Chao Phraya river.

I have a penchant for trying out B&Bs as the big hotel chains don't feel as homey to me. I was hesitant to book the hotel as the pictures on their website were all computer-generated plans and not actual pictures yet. But I took a chance thanks to the good reviews I read on Agoda.com. And I'm definitely satisfied with this choice.

It is definitely pricier than your usual "budget" accommodation at $35-40 a night, but I thought it being my first time, I should allow myself to splurge a little bit. =)

Being a new hotel, barely a year old at the time, the taxi driver was not familiar with the place. But good thing we found it fairly easily as we brought our map to show to the driver.

The moment we arrived at the hotel around midnight, the staff were quick to welcome us and even made sure that the taxi driver was charging us the correct amount, which is about 200-300 baht to Silom, including nighttime charge, excluding tolls.

They also helped us with our luggage and though the establishment did not have an elevator, they did have a luggage lift, which was handy since we were staying at the 4th floor and had bigger luggage with us (mostly empty but filled by time we got back cause of shopping!) This might be a problem for older travelers but being fairly young & energetic, we did not mind having to walk up a steep flight of stairs every time my brother/ TB came home.

On it website, it proudly called itself a gay-friendly hotel. But upon arriving, we found that there was a fair mix of both gay & straight guests, all lovely folks which we had the pleasure of chatting with at the small breakfast area at the hotel mezzanine. Despite having many rooms, the small mezzanine with a capacity of about 15 was never crowded during our stay.

The breakfast was poorly reviewed on Agoda so I was pleasantly surprised that it was not as bad as I imagined. There was fresh milk, juice, cereals and sandwiches daily. Then a variety of Thai food such as pad thai, sticky mango, etc was also rotated on different days of the week. The only things I would stay away from are the cold cuts, which do not look as fresh, despite being served at the buffet on a hot plate.

From the pictures, it is obvious that the look of the hotel is on the feminine side. However, they also have many more neutral-style rooms, which I requested prior to arriving. But they did not have any available at the time so we just settled for a nice pink/purple room, which might be too flamboyant for some. But I didn't mind the decor too much, what was important is that it was clean. They also had an in-room safe which was easy to use.

One thing which might not be for everyone is their ensuite bathroom, which was separated from the bedroom, with just a frosted glass door. I'd say it may be a bit peekaboo for other people's taste, but if you're comfortable with who you're with, it shouldn't be a problem. I had to look away whenever my brother used the bathroom haha! You really couldn't see anything but there were parts where you could see a silhouette.

It also located in Silom, about 5mins walking distance from the BTS and 15mins from the Suan Lum Night Market. At night, it is not for the faint-hearted as its alleyways tend to transform into hush-hush bar strips and night market with peddlers eager to sell you X-rated DVDs. But it wasn't that big of a deal, and we just treated it more as a novelty rather than a bother.

It is also across a drugstore and cheap massage places, which was a nice stop for us to have a quick foot massage.

Though there are no night guards at the hotel, only the receptionists, the entry to the hotel required keycard entry so that put us at ease.

All-in-all, I enjoyed our stay here since and am pretty satisfied at the performance of the efficient staff and even the cleaning ladies. Up until the end of our stay, they assisted with storing our luggage for free and hailing a cab for us (Though even the staff found it hard to haggle a decent price with difficult taxi drivers!)

So if you have a bit of money to spend in Bangkok, I would recommend Glitz Hotel in Silom.

SUMMARY:

PROS: attentive English-speaking staff, quick to help with taxis & luggage, proximity to BTS, comfy rooms, quiet neighborhood, great street view, complete amenities, free WiFi, gay-friendly, BRAND NEW =)

AVERAGE: breakfast has a good selection but tends to be cold

CONS: peek-a-boo bathrooms, dizzying uber-stylized decor, pics on the website are misleading, no elevator
twin beds
feminine decor
desk with my netbook, they got fre…
small yet chic reception

Glitz Bangkok Hotel Overview

The Glitz Hotel is located in Bangkok making it one of the best hotels to stay at while in town. All of the 14 rooms of this 4-story property are all equipped with modern in-room amenities. Each guestroom is fully equipped with non smoking rooms, air conditioning, bathrobes, daily newspaper, inhouse movies, desk, hair dryer, in room safe. Services and amenities available for guests at this Bangkok accommodation consist of coffee shop, bar/pub, laundry service/dry cleaning, nightclub, restaurant, room service, safety deposit boxes. Being one of the good quality hotels in Bangkok, guests staying at this hotel will find its convenient location and tranquil atmosphere pleasurable. To proceed with this reservation at the Glitz Hotel, please enter your visit dates and follow our secure online booking form.

Glitz Bangkok Hotel Amenities

• Cable / Satellite TV
  • Coffee / Tea Maker
  • TV
  • DVD Player
  • Internet Connection (wireless)

Check Bangkok Hotel Deals