Glenskirlie House & Castle

01324 840201

Glenskirlie House & Castle Banknock Reviews

mfmcp1982 mfmcp1982
Amazing Food, Fabulous Staff and a Perfect Setting Jul 12, 2007
Glenskirlie House and Castle is a gem in the Scottish Gourmet Food Scene. It's where we held the reception for our wedding in July 2007 and everything was perfect.

The restaurant at the House is out of this world. I first dined here in Summer 2003 and have been back numerous times since. The food is often Scottish in origin, but has modern twists. One of my favourites is king prawns in garlic and black bean butter, which the chefs make for me even if it's not on the menu! There's always a platter of fresh fish to choose from and there's also always specials. Monkeygland Steak (another of my favourites) is always available on request. They usually have an exotic pate/ terrine as a starter, as well as soup, fish and often a cold or warm salad. Rolls are served warm in a little metal napkin ring, so they sit in your side plate like overflowing souffle tins!

The main courses are divine! I've had herb crusted lamb, pork, succulent melt in the mouth steak and a vegetarian main course which is very unlike me, but it sounded so amazing I had to try it.

But the Piece de Resistence is the desert trolley. It may sound old fashioned but it's the most modern creation I've ever seen! Recently specially commissioned and apparently costing as much as a small car, it's base is like two dining chairs joined together, with siz platforms which swing in and out. Each has a heavy glass dome covering sample puddings. They are works of art! One of the deserts often has a wafer detail on it - one I had (I think it was a trio of caramel puddings) head a wafer artists palette and a caramel paintbrush. The attention to detail is amazing and the puddings - which range from ice cream to individual pans of apple or rhubarb crumble made to order to chocolate creations are an essential part of the Glenskirlie experience and you have to save room for them!

After dinner tea and coffee is often served in the conservatory which overlooks the gorgeous gardens. You get a selection of homemade petit fours with coffee, or tablet, etc.

Our wedding was an absolute success at Glenskirlie. Fortunately it was a lovely day so people were able to spill out into the gardens, where tables were set up under the canopy we had to have for our evening barbeque buffet! People sipped Kir Royale on the lawn and we had photos taken to the sound of a fabulous band called the Dixie Kings who entertained guests in the garden. The meal was superb - the staff really go the extra mile to make sure everything is perfect. The heel of my left shoe came off during the meal and the shoe was taken off into the kitchen and fixed back in place with a meat hammer! It fell off twice more and fortunately I had a spair pair with me for my going away outfit so I wasn't stuck!

Wedding receptions take place in a function suite which is separate from the main house restaurant, separated by a double set of double doors. Obviously people spilling out into the garden in the evening could be seen by people in the conservatory but we always like seeing the weddings!

The dancefloor features a ceiling lit with twinkling fibre optic bulbs which hang almost invisibly from the ceiling but add a magical touch to the evening.

One of the highlights of the wedding was our evening buffet, which was a barbeque! Chefs in full whites and hats cooked marinated sausages, burgers, and ribs, with rolls, salad and corn on the cob also available. It was totally different from the usual sandwiches and sausage rolls and we were really pleased we did it.

The other big benefit of Glenskirlie for weddings is that it has a bride's room just off the main hall of the function suite. Here we stored our going away outfits, gifts we were given on the day and things like the Mums hats and our bouquets once dinner was over. It had it's own little toilet although it was so small! My Mum had to hold my dress out the door for me (it was quite big)!

I'd highly recommend Glenskirlie for a special meal, or a wedding. The restaurant has a table a deux in an little alcove - that's where Mark proposed to me!

The new Castle (which was completed late July 2007) has a grill, which is also great and rooms, which I've heard are all different. The rooms were available the week after our wedding which was a shame because we'd really liked to have stayed but there's nothing we could do about it.

A very much recommended dining experience!
The newly completed Glenskirlie Ca…

Check Banknock Hotel Deals