Glencairn Museum

(267) 502-2600

Glencairn Museum Bryn Athyn Reviews

Amanda Amanda
Sep 13, 2006
Of all of the reviews I've written, I have to admit a little bias on this one; it's by far my most personal. Glencairn Museum is located in my original hometown of Bryn Athyn Pennsylvania, and was originally built and used as a private residence; and believe me when I say you will find this very hard to believe when you first lay eyes on it. It is a true site to behold, far more of a castle than a home.

Back in the day when it was a private residence, I remember going to dinner here with my family, sitting in the kitchen as dinner was prepared, and being in awe of the rooms even then. By the time I went back to high school it had been turned over for public use, (this was done in 1979) and this is where we had my class graduation dinner and the graduation ball. I have also spent many quiet hours on the beautiful grounds.

Now that it is a museum, it is of an exceptionally high caliber. It examines the religions of the world; Greek, Roman, Egyptian, Medieval Christian, Asian, Islamic, Native American, etc. Its pieces are extraordinary. At one point, I remember there was someartifact that was broken into three pieces; I really wish I could remember what it was so I could tell you, but all I can share now was that it was stone; out of the three pieces, The Louvre had a piece,The British Museum had a piece, and Glencairn had the third!!! So you can see they aren't fooling around.

When you go, you start with an elevator ride to the tower, which is beautiful. On a good day, you can see the Philly skyline. I have spent a ton of time up there, and can really recommend a good camera with a zoom lens; this also gives you a great view of the Bryn Athyn Cathedral next door, and it's a great chance to take pictures of that as well.

You then move on through some of the bedrooms and the chapel, The Egyptian Gallery, The Medieval Treasury, and the Roman Gallery. You then get to go to the Great Hall, which I've included a picture of here. This used to be where the formal meals were, I'll never forget eating here as a guest.

Glencairn was also recognized as “Best of Philly” for 2006, in the “Family Matters” category.

Adults: $7.00; Seniors (65+) $6.00; Students (College + age with ID) $4.00; children 5 years and under admitted free.

I hope you love this place; it's very special with a special history. Take special note of the stone sheep and lambs that are carved into the stone over the elevator on the first floor, that's my favorite part of the house; you'll note they are all looking towards the center but the smallest on the end, which is looking away. These were to represent the family that lived there, the mother, father, and all their children. They had one small child that died, and that is the lamb looking away. Details like this are all over the house.
lisalush says:
I'm so glad Travelman didn't say lamb sandwiches...
travelman727 says:
Thanks for the great review! I will put Glencairn Museum up with Philly Cheese Steak sandwiches as musts next time I go to the City of Brotherly Love!
londonstudent says:
This will certainly be on my list of places to visit if I am ever in that part of the world!
Posted on: Sep 13, 2006

Compare Bensalem Hotel Rates (10.3km away)

Glencairn Museum Map