Glasgow, Scotland

Glasgow Reviews

FM1721 FM1721
Glasgow Apr 03, 2010
Glasgow is different! It's not obvious but can be found in every little detail that makes this place as lovely as it is.…
sez85 sez85
Glasgow, Scotland Feb 22, 2009
I moved to Glasgow in Aug 2007 and loved it so much I stayed for until Sep 2008. . .Great Cultural City and the people are really helpful and nice. Grey Skies and rain almost everyday but I'm from North Queensland Australia so i wanted somewhere different. Yes Edinburgh is a lot better as in Smaller City centre, better transport, more jobs etc, But these days you hardly find a true Scottish person on the streets. It has just become way to touristy! I wanted Scottish friends, to work with Scottish people and get a feel for the Scottish city life. And Glasgow does that. Unlike all the reviews i found it safe as long as you are sensible. It is a dangerous place if you walk down the wrong alley way or get into an argument at a bar! But generally the educated people are absolutely awesome!

So here are some tips and hints for Glasgow below:

Two major airports.

Glasgow international: 25 minutes drive from city centre (18 pound by black cabs or 4.20 via bus from buchanan bus station - the bus 'city flyer' runs every 10 minutes for 24 hours)

Prestwick Airport: 55 minutes via train (central station only), show your airline ticket at the ticket office and it is half price around 3.60. (trains start from 7am - every 30 minutes) - If your plane is due to check in before 8am, Then there is a bus running at 4.45am from buchanan bus station - the X99. Arrives at the airport 5.30am

The buchanan bus station is situated North of the city with a 10 minute walk into the main street. MegaBus and National Express are two cheap options of travel from there (Train is more expensive to travel with unless you a euro-rail pass)

Be careful as to which hostels you stay in. I have personally heard over 20 complaints/horror stories'. I personally recommend 2 of the best hostels that are safe and clean, with great access to either city centre or west end with helpful staff. (I know Globetrotters in Berkeley St is cheap but I have stayed there and I wouldn't recommend it for a dog! And I have low expectations - I have personally heard over 20 complaints from that place and the hostel across the road is scary as too - 'blue sky')

1. (318 Clyde Street, Glasgow City Centre - 0141 222 2828 (right near central station or 10 minutes walk south from Queens street and buchanan bus station) (WIFI passcode is: barosmosis)

2. (7/8 Park Terrace, Glasgow, G3 6BY - 0870 004 1119)

(This is in the west end)

3. Etap Hotel is a great Hotel (Standards of a Hostel). Just a cheap and brand new place to stay. it is like 32 Pound a room per night for up to 3 people. Not bad really and situated just over the Bridge from the City Centre (2a Springfield Quay)

1 tip is always book direct as it is the cheapest option!

Couchsurfing In Glasgow.

There are a great bunch of people hosting in this cultural city! I personally know some of the hosts and community. I Hosted there myself with over 30 people staying at my place in 3 Months.

Tours From Glasgow.

I personally have been on all of these tours and recommend them:

1. Timberbush Tours:

2. Maxwell Tours (family run, so support the locals)

3. Glasgow City Tour (big red bus) 8 pound two day ticket - I recommend this as it pretty much shows you all of Glasgow's attractions.

(All tours leave from George Square, outside the tourist info store)

Saturday and Sundays:

There are markets on at the 'The Barralands - East end' - interesting stuff they sell and very entertaining for a tourist. Bus 18 and 16

Free WIFI or net

* When I first arrived in Glasgow a great spot i loved was sitting in starbucks on buchanan street drinking a coffee and picking up the free WIFI from the Mac store across the street. (Comfort + Coffee)

* You can sit in the Euro-Hostel's Bar and use free internet on clyde street if you buy a drink. (downloading is unlimited)

* Macdonalds all has free Wifi

* The Mac Super Store on buchanan street city centre lets you use there computers and internet for free.

* Cafes in the West End have Wifi too . . . to many to list, but walking around u will see the WIFI sign on the doors. . .

Check out for rentals or share accommodation if you want to move here! Also good for concert tickets!!! I loved the live music venues Such as King tuts, ABC, The Box, Arches so many! Best in the UK I reckon! Great Party life!

Bring an umbrella with you!

For all your live gigs and events happening in glasgow pick up a copy of

'The List' or the newspaper 'The Skinny'.

Well hope that helps out - Happy travels to this lovely city -
walking Bridge on Clyde Street
Main Street in Glasgow City Centre…
View over the Clyde River
At the Footy in Glasgow - Rangers …
scottishboy scottish…
Feb 27, 2008
Well the secret of Glasgow is that no matter what part you find yourself in you will not be far from one of the many green spaces. Glasgow itself is latin for "Dear Green Place".

Pollok Country Park

The Park is rich in rural history formerly being part of the Old Pollok Estate and ancestral home to the Maxwell Family. The Park is also home to the world famous Burrell Collection.

Britain's and Europe's Best Park Awards

Pollok Country Park has been voted the Best Park in Britain 2007, and Europe's Best Park 2008.

This adds to a clutch of accolades the City’s parks have already attracted including the Botanic Gardens winning best park, in Scotland in 2006, and Auchinlea the Scottish Best Park Award in 2005.
Lose yourself into the Magical woo…
inmysimpleheart says:
I am absolutely obsessed with green places, and this looks like the perfect place for me!

Gray skies don't worry me either...I love a morning with fog rolling along meadows and in the trees.

This place looks like heaven to me!
Posted on: May 15, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About Glasgow

Glasgow, uk
my hostel was 3 miles from the city centre. 30mins to walk one way. it was 5 pound taxi fare one way. i took the bus mainly. 1 pound bus fare one way. City centreThe city centre is bounded by the Hig…Glasgow's public statues and the elaborate Victorian Glasgow City Chambers, headquarters of Glasgow City Council. To the south…
day 8 9 and 10 Glasgow Montana
DAY 8 TRAIN RIDE FROM MINNEAPOLIS TO GLASGOW MT We boarded the train about 11.15pm which would take us to Glasgow Montana but the journey would be about 14 hours long and we would pass through 1 tim…GLASGOW MT We boarded the train about 11.15pm which would take us to Glasgow Montana but the journey…
City Centre (South and South East)
Decided for the first day of ''discovering'' my own town to head for Glasgow Green and The Peoples Palace and Winter Gardens. For me this invovled getting the train into town and getting off at …Glasgow Cross and the Tollbooth Steeple. Built in 1627 the Tollboth Clock Tower is all that remains of Glasgow

Check Glasgow Hotel Deals