Glasgow Pond Hotel

Check Glasgow Hotel Deals

Glasgow Pond Hotel Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Glasgow Pond Jul 08, 2011
The Glasgow Pond Hotel is at Gartnaval Hospital, 10 or so minutes walk outside the West End of the city and close to a suburban railway station in Anniesland.  This makes it a good base if you are with someone who knows their way around Glaswegian public transport, although perhaps not such a good place if you don’t know the city.  It also makes it easy to drive to, as the hospital has good access roads and lots of signs.  The hotel itself is in a large, postwar block.

The rooms seem recently refurbished and are decent sizes.  They are pleasantly decorated and have lots of tea and coffee.

Many of the negative reviews for this hotel I’ve seen have talked about noise being a problem.  I didn’t have any problems with this at all, even though there was a wedding on the second night we were there and ambulances obviously go past.  I can imagine it being a problem if it was hot enough to open your windows, but it still isn’t as noisy as most city centres would be.

The staff were lovely.  They were extremely helpful.  They also kept the hotel bar open for us until 4am.  The rules in the UK are that they can, legally, keep the bar open for residents but they don’t have to unless they feel like it, so that was definitely a bonus.  Also, at 4am, when I went up to the bar to ask if they could sort me out with a room for the next night, then didn’t ask for a card to authorise it and they didn’t wake us up the next morning to ask for confirmation.  When you have stayed up in a hotel bar until 4am, it is very nice not to be woken up in the morning.  And, having lurched out of bed, blinking, at about 2pm, they still sent someone to clean the room.

All in all, this is a basic, pleasant hotel that makes for a good base when you are going to be in the West End of Glasgow.  It is nothing especially quaint or pretty about the building, but it is affordable and pleasant, and I will probably use it as a base again next time I can’t stay with friends.

NB there is another hotel with a similar name and address on this site, but the one I stayed in wasn't a Best Western- perhaps it's changed hands?

Check Glasgow Hotel Deals