Glasgow Museum of Modern Art

Glasgow, Scotland

Glasgow Museum of Modern Art Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Glasgow Museum of Modern Art Aug 06, 2012
The Glasgow Museum of Modern Art is a museum in the Merchant city area of Glasgow, focusing on late 20th century and contemporary art. Admission is free.

I enjoyed my trip to this museum. It focuses mostly on visual art and some sculpture, with some film installations. One of these was an excellent meditation on how perceptions of the silk road area of Asia have got themselves stuck in Marco Polo’s time, and the other one was a series of things blowing up in such a way as to cause something else to blow up. I am told this was seminal. I grew up watching Sesame Street in the early 1980s, and can only assume the 12345 animations on Sesame Street were inspired by this art, and not the other way around.

Contemporary art is not for everyone. There was a loud man in front of me demanding that the staff member he had cornered tell him “whether there’s any actual art in here,” and a little old lady who seemed personally offended by the fact she didn’t understand why the giant paper folder was art. I don’t get all (or even much more than half) of the art in contemporary places, but I don’t think there’s any call to be rude to the staff. Admission is free, for a start, and it’s not like they don’t tell you what sort of museum it is on the way in. I liked a lot of the stuff here, and I really enjoyed the people watching!
halilee says:
Congrats on your featured review! :)
monky says:
Congrats on this featured review Sarah! have a great weekend:)
montecarlostar says:
Congrats on the feature, Sarah!

Check Glasgow Hotel Deals