Glacier NP, Going to the Sun Highway

Hungry Horse, Montana

Glacier NP, Going to the Sun Highway Hungry Horse Reviews

walterman9999 walterma…
Best Mts. in the USA Oct 08, 2014
We came in from the west with a Parks Pass so we didnt have to pay. We went through a conifer forest then saw the wonderful Lake McDonald where we spent an hour enjoying its shoreline with some wonderful tall mountains off in the background. We continued on and upward. After the first major switchback We saw nearby wonderful mountaintops. Some mountains were the normal round tops, but then we saw a "fense" of standing up tall rocks as we neared the top and they certainly were the contintal divide. There were many good photo opps but I lost most of my photos with time.

We reached the very top at the continental divide and saw a busy visitors center. We got in and drank cold water from the waterfountain, then filled up a few water bottles. We talked with a nice park ranger for a while who told us what to expect on the way down.

So we went east on the way down. We crossed a short tunnel then kept going down the connifer forest. We got low on the mountain and found the beautiful Lake St. Mary. We spent an hour on the walking trails and enjoyed the lake and saw some odd looking mountaintops. We were hungry so in the parking lot I got my propane cooking stove, a covered fry pan, two ribeye steaks, and one large sliced potato. All put together I set the burner on low to medium. We had a good chat with our neighbors in the parking lot. They were so fasinated by our cooking that they took a photo of us with the cover off the fry pan. We had a great lunch, then it was time to continue down. As we passed the park enterance we did a U turn and drove by the enterance rangers with our pass and off we went to do it again. It was much the same enjoyable thing except the lunch, as we had the great experience of a second trip across the mountains.

It was getting late and I never camp in a Nat. Park. We took some dirt roads and camped somewhere by the flathead river. We somehow had a sirloin steak and a big potato, and a clean frypan.
Glacier NP, truck