Glacier Adventure Hike

Fox Glacier, New Zealand

Glacier Adventure Hike Fox Glacier Reviews

JellsBells JellsBel…
Franz Joseph Fox Glacier - Helihike Sep 12, 2011
I went to NZ on a month long trip in February 2011. Whilst on the South island we had the opportunity to visit the fox glacier for ice hiking. There are a few options on how to do the hike/climb from mini hikes, all day hiking and my option: The 'heli-hike'. This is the most expensive option. However - its worth every penny.

You arrive at the heli-hike offices and receive a full brief on the experience ahead. You are advised in advance what clothes to bring but should you not have the correct clothing you can rent whatever you need from this desk. Main clothing includes long trousers, warm long sleeved top and good hiking boots.

You are then split into groups and taken to the briefing area. This is when the explain the hike to you and show you how to your footwear once on the glacier (slightly harder once on the slippery ice !!).

You then go up in the helicopter in groups of 4. I was lucky enough to score the front seat although the whole helicopter boasts amazing views. The flight is around 8 minutes long and you get to see just how much of an advantage this tour holds. Many people opt for the alternative ice hike and ice climb and are much lower on the mountain. The full day is around 8 hours long to get to the level height of the heli-hike.

When you see the landing spot on the glacier you cant help but be impressed at the skill of the pilot. We were also lucky enough to have a very sunny day and the views of beaming sunlight off a spectacular glacier left me in awe.

Once at the top the groups re assembled and our guide gave us the footwear and walking sticks to get going. Then off we went !! The route seemed very short though we covered a lot of ground. I would say that you need an average fitness level and the walk was considerably flat but we also crawled through some very small and awkward ice caverns. There was also a young boy on our tour but his family needed to reign him in slightly as did not seem to realise the danger of letting him run around on top of a glacier, at one point we nearly lost him off the egde !!

The guide we had was funny and fast paced and was very informative with the million questions that were thrown at him. We stopped at one point to re fill our water bottles from a running stream of water - ice cold and super fresh !!! Yum.

We saw some amazing natural formations and lots of open cracks and long drops through gaps in the ice. The waterfall near the top of the glacier is well worth the extra climb.

At one point we stopped where an overhang had formed from running water and the guide started hacking into the ice and throwing it around. It was amazing to see how quickly it could fall apart - everyone looked rather nervous haha. We then stopped for some amazing photographs and realised we had less than 10 minutes to hightail it back to the helicopter.

Another short helicopter ride down and we were back. Amazing experience and the views paid for themselves.

Happy day !! xx
aeonya aeonya
Foxy Glacier May 09, 2011
I set off for another adventure as we decided to hike fox glacier. It's a different experience, and I always love trying out new things and I was excited at the thought of climbing the ice.

We were given special equipment to lace our shoes and aid in our grip of the ice. However our actual experience on the ice was a little disappointing for me.

So we started the ascent via land, through the one part of the valley up the the mid point of the glacier. The view was magnificent. It felt unreal. Finally we got onto the ice. and were able to walk about. It was not as safe as it looked. There were these small openings in the ice and if you fell in, you will be swept by the water underneath all the way down. Also, the ice formation will change everyday, so there were people up there getting rid of unwanted ice build up, which i thought was a pity, since the glacier is know to be reducing in size.

Overall, a good experience, worth trying. But you should go there for the view, not the hike.
chelc387 chelc387
Fox Glacier a must! May 28, 2011
There were many things I wanted to do while I was in New Zealand. Climbing a glacier was not on the list! We ended up with a great guide who was a lot of fun, the weather was great and was just an over all great expierience. They break you off into groups I suggest going in group 1 or 2. Even tho these are the more intense groups, you take breaks constantly and are never really straining yourself. Also, make sure to do the full day trip. The half day is not worth it! You barely make it to the ice.
krispyk krispyk
Stunning scenery Dec 22, 2010
Take a 40 minutes hike to Lake Matheson, Fox Glacier. It feels surreal when you finally reach the destination and all you could see is one of the most beautiful sightes your eyes have ever feasted upon. Calm, peaceful, spiritual, epic.
keorachu keorachu
Jul 20, 2007
When in Fox Glacier, South Island of New Zealand, I decided to climb a glacier! You have the option of doing 3 different hikes. The first one and most basic is just a stroll to the glacier front, the 2nd one is a half day adventure hike that gets you on top of the glacier but you don't really get to explore that much, the 3rd one and also the one i ventured on was the 8 hour full day adventure hike.

This was unreal, to start off with the guide took us through the rainforest to the side of the glacier that brought us higher and higher up towards the back of the glacier. As we trekked up the side of the mountain there were natural waterfalls running down the side of the mountain, take a water bottle and fill it up! I was a bit dubious at first but the water was fresh and it was incredible to think that i was drinking from a waterfall. After about 3 hours of hiking through the rain forest we then ventured out onto the glacier itself. Being a natural landmark, the guide had to cut steps into the ice as we walked, we had lunch on top of the glacier over looking the southern alps and the rest of the glacier. Trek is best done when it is sunny, and wear layers as it can get quite hot whilst hiking. Waterproof pants are also recommended. Bring a water bottle, lunch, and definately your camera!

Check Fox Glacier Hotel Deals