Giuseppe Garibaldi Monument.

00165 Rome, Rome, Italy

Giuseppe Garibaldi Monument. Rome Reviews

planxty planxty
A fine monument to a local hero. Jul 16, 2017
It is very true to say that I constantly learn whilst travelling which I suppose is one of the major reasons I do it. If I may quote here from an excellent old Fairport Convention song, "For the more I learn it's the less I seem to know" which was written by the late and much missed Dave Swarbrick, a fine musician who I had the pleasure of meeting. Such it was with Garibaldi on my trip to Rome.

Despite going to a good school, Italian history past the Romans just was not on the agenda. Yes, I had some sort of vague idea which I had read somewhere long after I left that seat of learning that he was an important personage without whom modern day Italy would not exist and that there was a biscuit named after him which may be true or purely another historical myth. Disregarding the biscuit (to which I am quite partial) I managed to find out, on a day's getting lost in Rome, quite a bit about this remarkable character. I have researched a little further since and found out more and I intend to continue that line of enquiry. Such is the joy of travelling, I never stop learning and hope I never will.

I could go on now to regale the reader with a full history of this fascinating man but I shall not as apparently it is not the style of this particular website, it is all available online. What I will speak of is the rather magnificent monument to the man which is sited on the highest point of the Janiculum Hill, one of the seven upon which the city is so famously built. It is an appropriate site as it is where he had a fairly famous "last stand" (it turned out not to be his last) against Roman Catholic troops called in from places like Austria and France by Pope Pius IX who he had already effectively banished from Rome, if the reader can imagine that. A Pope banished from Rome?

The monument itself is very impressive and well worth seeking out, albeit that I had found it completely by accident but a quick word of warning here. I had fancied getting up close to it for a few images on my pretty basic compact camera but the antics of the Roman traffic precluded this as the effigy is effectively in the middle of a traffic roundabout and you really do take your life in your hands trying to get near it.

It is to the design of Emilio Gallori but was not unveiled until 1895, some 13 years after his death.

Apart from the many other joys which I have written about here, this is well worth a visit as part of a trip round a superb location in this most historic city.

It is well worth getting off the beaten track to get here.
pfsmalo says:
Fine man indeed. Nice quote from Swarbrick, I liked that.
Posted on: Nov 07, 2017