Girl & The Goat

809 West Randolph Street, Chicago, IL, USA - (312) 492-6262

Girl & The Goat Chicago Reviews

AniaKrysia123 AniaKrys…
Trendy, Expensive- Overhyped? Jun 04, 2011
I must admit, I haven't heard of this restaurant until yesterday when spontaneously my friends said they always wanted to go there and that they heard so many good things about it, so we went.

As soon as we walked in, I was impressed with the decor- very trendy. We walked in about 10ish and the place was packed so we went straight to the bar to order drinks. Since I had been drinking beer before we got there, I decided to stay with it. As I reviewed the menu, I didn't recognize any of the names, which is fine. I normally like ales, specifically Belgium. They had only 2 imports - one from Holland: Dragon's Milk Ale, which I believe was $12 and one from Belgium: Orval, which I believe was $16. The rest of the beer was domestic. I decided to ask the bartender for a recommendation. I explained to him my taste and that I had been drinking Hoegaarden. He recommended the Holland's Dragon's Milk Ale. To my surprise, it was nothing like Hoegaarden! It was thick, very dark, strong and heavy. I was disappointed. I drank only half of it and couldn't finish it.

After waiting at the bar for a table for about an hour, the hostess came up to us and took us to our table. Our waitress explained the menu and was very knowledgeable. The menu is simple. It is separated in 3 categories: V-vegetables; S- seafood and; M- meat. I like the fact that selecting was easy. It is a tapas style restaurant.

Here is what we ordered:

1. Pan fried shishito peppers/parmesan/sesame/miso- It was good.

2. Seared scallops/brown butter XO/goat sausage/white shrimp/ shiitakes/winter squash- It was good. You get only 2 pieces of scallops.

3. Escargot ravioli/bacon/tamarind-miso sauce- It was OK.

4. Crisp calamari/rabbit ravioli/spring onions/red watercress- It was very good.

5. Goat chorizo flatbread/ramp pesto/rhubarb/fresh ricotta- It was good.

And the last thing, which I don't find on the menu was:

6. Cow's Tongue- it was good until I was told what it was. Sorry, I just can't eat tongues, brains, etc.

It was definitely interesting cuisine, but nothing I ate blew me away! My favorite thing was Crisp Calamari but I still wouldn't say it was out of this world or delicious. I probably won't go back. Was it worth it? Not sure but definitely an experience.

I see people on Yelp giving this restaurant 5 stars. I just think it's overhyped because it's the new trendy place that everyone talks about. I do believe it's also overpriced.

Check Chicago Hotel Deals