Giovanni's Shrimp Shack

Oahu, Hawaii

Giovanni's Shrimp Shack Oahu Reviews

1Satine 1Satine
Giovanni's Shrimp Truck May 11, 2010
This is the original, so although management has changed, it doesn't get better than this! Excellent plates of shrimp on 'da North Shore!
CaseyVan says:
Gah! I cant remember the name of it but there is one of the shrimp trucks that sells steak with the shrimp (which i found to be on par with Giovanni's)... Blue Ocean Shrimp Co? Something like that. Located right next to the gas station in Old Town haleiwa
Posted on: Sep 07, 2011
jamie91 says:
with a number of choices of islands in hawaii, the best reason to go to oahu is giovanni's shrimp van. it is such an important part of our travel memories! one time on our honeymoon, we returned there with 8 of our friends and my two children only to arrive at the van just as it was closing. one of the employees had ordered up one pound plate of garlic shrimp to take home. we ended up buying her dinner from her, and the twelve us ate it off of paper plates on the hood of one our rental jeeps, 2-3 a piece. it is one of the best memories of our lives. my kids feel the same way. we ate it in the parking lot of a pizza place where we followed our appetizer of shrimp. the young woman there had worked for giovanni's and told us the basic recipe. we try. but we can't quite duplcate it. perhaps we lack the tradewinds, or the long line out the uh...tarp! our favorite meal!!!

it's messy. it's not classy. but it is unduplicatable!
Posted on: Aug 20, 2010
jenn79 jenn79
Feb 04, 2007
It's hard to describe where Giovanni's Shrimp Shack is, as the Hawaiian language has too many vowels for my poor little brain. But it's nearby where the shrimp ponds are where they cultivate both fresh and saltwater shrimp. Their van has writing/autographs all over it and they're parked in an area next to a fruit van where multiple picnic tables are set up under tents. I guess you can also just look for the shrimp van with the largest line =)Their 1/2 lb shrimp dishes cost $12 (or $6 for a half order) and come with 2 scoops of rice. Their rice is delicious! I would call this "sticky" rice, but I think sticky rice refers to the semi-sweet rice that Thai restaurants offer. It's more like Japanese rice, slightly soggy, which is my favorite kind of rice.There are 3 flavors available:#1 is Garlic Shrimp - my favorite!#2 is Hot and Spicy - it's REALLY hot and spicy. It says next to it "No Refunds!"#3 is Lemon and Garlic - sounds great, but a little to mediterranean while I'm in Hawaii =)They also have garlic hot dogs and like 1 other thing I can't recall at the moment.Delicious, heavenly shrimp - and no tax! The wait once you order is about 10 minutes. Giovanni's Shrimp Shack = total food enjoyment.
Joyce ordering at the van.
Eating area =) I have a #1 and Joy…

Related Travel Blogs About Giovanni's Shrimp Shack

NY represents in HI
Today I hung out with Kar-Hai and his girlfriend Gina for a few hours. Kar Hai is my old friend from high school and the only person to date who has moved further West than anyone I know from NY. His…Oahu. We re-visited Giovanni's shrimp shack which was delicious as always. The inspiration for my butter and garlic…
Oahu Map