Gino's East Pizzeria

Gino's East Pizzeria - Gino's East

Gino's East Pizzeria Chicago Reviews

ally_mae ally_mae
Great Pizza Jun 16, 2011
According to some local guys in Chicago, you've never been to Chicago if you haven't tried the deep dish pizza at Gino's East Pizzateria. Out of curiosity, we followed what was being recommended to us. Outside the restaurant, its already a blockbuster! there's a long line for the fanatics waiting for the restaurant to open. The ambiance of the place is so unique. And true enough, the deep dish pizza was a sure hit!!! The services is great and like any other visitor who went there for the first time, we also leave the place with our signatures on the wall..^_^
sarahelaine sarahela…
Deep Dish Chicago Pizza Aug 25, 2010
Actually, I think the one I went to was on a different street, but it's part of the same chain.

Gino’s is a good place to eat the legendary deep dish Chicago pizza. It is a dark restaurant with a nice bar to eat at and a large seating area, decorated with lots of graffiti all over the walls – I wasn’t sure if this had built up over time or if it was all sort of mass produced for effect, but it doesn’t matter.

I had a cheese deep dish pizza and a couple of beers at the bar. The bar man was nice, and the service was great. You need to bear in mind that deep dish pizza, done properly, can take anything up to 45 minutes (mine came out in about 30) so this isn’t a good place to come if that is going to be a problem, but I was expecting that so it was fine. The pizza was amazing. I had worried that it would be too heavy, but actually it is surprisingly light. One pizza is probably too much for one person – they are quite filling even if they aren’t heavy – but they will box up the leftovers without even really needing asked.

The atmosphere is fun and busy, and they have TVs with the ball game on them. I have absolutely no idea what is going on when I watch baseball, but it’s still strangely hypnotic!

Prices are about average for Chicago and I think this place is good value for money. I might well go back another time, if I was back in the city.
jennjeff1 says:
My favorite pizza in the world is Gino's East--I have to have them flown in on dry ice once a year because I only get to Chicago once every 3-4 years!
Posted on: Feb 05, 2011
londonstudent says:
Sounds almost as good as the Chicago Town Deep Dish Pizzas from Iceland, twin pack £1 ;)
Posted on: Sep 03, 2010
ahtibat17 ahtibat17
Worth the Wait! Jan 09, 2010
This was my first trip to Chicago, and presented with the multitude of Chicago food, I wanted to try deep dish pizza, specifically Gino's East for the sole reason they went there on the Amazing Race (only my favorite tv show ever).

Being Sunday afternoon, we weren't sure what the wait-time would be, but we were able to get seated right away, even though the restaurant was busy. My sister and I ordered the Gino's Supreme: a sausage patty in the bottom, with green peppers, onions, and mushrooms. And, if you are unfamiliar with Chicago-style pizza, the layers are different: toppings and cheese beneath the sauce. It took 45 minutes to bake, so take note, plan enough time, but it was well worth the wait. The cheese was gooey and stringy, just how I like it, and the sauce was sweet. The ingredients of our pizza was a great combination. The best part of it was the crust -- it was almost like cornbread. Being a good 2-2 1/2 inches thick, Chicago pizza definitely requires a fork, if not a knife. (Unless you like making a mess and/or wearing your dinner). My one recommendation: come hungry!!
A slice of the Gino's Supreme
Gino's East
our deep-dish pizza
jennjeff1 says:
Posted on: Feb 05, 2011
sweetsummerdaiz says:
Way to go on being featured! Love Gino's East!
Posted on: Jan 11, 2010
osgoodst says:
this place is the best when wasted at 2 in the afternoon...
Posted on: Jan 11, 2010
lmmeek611 lmmeek611
Great Chicago Pizza! Dec 03, 2010
It's such a fun relaxed environment. Don't go if you're in a hurry, the pizza's take about 45 minutes to cook, but it's worth it! If you're looking for a Chicago original I recommend it!
katehardman katehard…
May 20, 2006
30 years ago, my Dad had been a regular at the Original Gino’s East, a legendary pizzeria, popular with local Chicagoans and celebrities since its opening in 1966. As my Dad was back in town, we decided to head to Gino’s East so he could remember “the good ol’ days”.

Since its opening, the restaurant seems to have expanded and moved to several different locations, however the principle seems to have stayed the same: good, hearty, tasty deep dish pizzas with as much topping as anyone could desire.

I went for the Gino’s East Supreme (Italian sausage, peppers, onions, mushrooms, tomato) and was amazed by how tasty it was. It was nothing like a pizza I have ever had before. The crust is made out of a ‘secret’ recipe which makes it light and crispy, yet quite thick, and the topping • well that was just in abundance! It was fabulous • each slice weighed about a pound each and after my first slice I was struggling. My Dad managed only 2 • and he can eat A LOT! We ended up taking some back with us and gave the box to a homeless guy • hope he enjoyed it!

As for the interior of the restaurant, it is painted black, and is covered in graffiti • over the walls, seats, tables • people are really encouraged to leave a message, or thought. I had to giggle at a few.

Overall, I would give this restaurant a 4/5. Make sure you’re starving before you go • and then only order a small!
yummy!
marksreynolds says:
Can you give the address of this place? We are going to Chicago this summer and want to try this place out. Thanks :)
Posted on: Feb 11, 2009
festerwretch says:
mmm... I almost wish I hadn't read this, it's going to be a LONG time before I'm back in Chicago, and now I'm hungry for a "real" pizza!
Posted on: Oct 22, 2007