Malaga, Spain

Gibralfaro Malaga Reviews

davidx davidx
What a viewpoint! Nov 24, 2010
I knew there was something high above the Alcazaba in Málaga called the Gibalfaro but for some reason I thought it was only a parador. There certainly is one there but there are also the remains of a fortress when the development of armaments made the alcazaba's position vulnerable.

My other mistake was to think that it was only a stroll up from the Alcazaba. I started up on a warm day and felt it could not be much further when i met a man from the Netherlands coming down and asked him how far I had to go. he told me I was about one fifth of the way! he also gave me a bus number (35) and the stop (opposite the town hall.) Fortunately I had a book with me as the buses are not very frequent.

As a fortress I suppose it would merit a 3 rating - possibly 4 - but the amazing views fully justify the 5 in my mind.
Ayuntamiento - (town hall)
Gibralfaro view 1
Gibralfaro view 2
Gibralfaro view 3
Vipin Vipin
Great views, uphill walk Nov 09, 2010
This is one of the most iconic and visually prominent sites in Malaga. Built in the 14th century by the king of Granada, the castle is also famous as the site of a three-month siege where the city's citizens occupied it in protest against the catholic monarchs Ferdinand and Isabella.

Despite the history, the location means that it is a steep walk to the top. Apart from the deep breaths that are required, the paths can get dangerously slippy once it has rained. If you are not an avid walker, make sure to take it slow and be extra careful if it has been raining. Or if you have a ticket on the sightseeing bus, they do have a stop which drops you off much nearer to the castle entrance.

Notwithstanding the trek uphill, the views are the best. I recommend you time your visit for sunset, as the views would be amazing. Likewise, if it's a clear day, you great great views of the water.

Once you get to the top, you pay the entrance fee of a few euros. I didn't think the inside was particularly special, but I felt the views coming up were well worth the visit!

Check Malaga Hotel Deals