Giant's Causeway, Ireland

Giant's Causeway Reviews

irish492 irish492
Giant's Causeway Jun 01, 2012
Exactly what I expected for the most part. Being alone, however, I definitely should've opted for the one pound sterling park-and-ride from Bushmills. The six pound car park at the site is overpriced if you're alone, but well worth it if you've got several people in your car. Also, wear shoes with good traction as the Causeway is very slippery when wet, and uneven everywhere. Like most places on the "Tourist-to-do-List", everything in the gift shop is overpriced and can be found elsewhere (shopping malls in major cities) for way cheaper. Also, if you don't like hundreds of people in your pictures, get there very early.
bigstoney82 bigstone…
Giants Causeway, very cool Apr 03, 2012
I had never heard of this place before my trip, but my friend wanted to see it and i'm glad he did! It's hard to put in to words, it just seems like it must be man made because it just seems so intentional! I was pretty lucky the that weather was record breaking for highs in March, but i think Giants Causeway should be on your sights to see if you're in Northern Ireland.

It's free, so you can't really beat that! There is an information area, that you can get maps that have all the sights in the area lined out, like Dunluce Castle and the Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge.

The coast in the area is awe inspiring, one of the most beautiful places i've seen with my own eyes.
Chokk says:
I agree - I was really taken by the place
Posted on: Apr 04, 2012
bigstoney82 says:
I've tried to upload pictures, but it won't let me! < : ^ (
Posted on: Apr 03, 2012
rah rah
nature's unique geometry Mar 14, 2012
The Giant's Causeway is renowned for its polygonal columns of layered basalt. Resulting from a volcanic eruption 60 million years ago, this is the focal point of a designated Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and has attracted visitors for centuries.

The formation of the Giant's Causeway was due to intense volcanic activity. Lava welling up through fissures in the chalk bed formed a "lava plateau". Three periods of volcanic activity gave rise to the Lower, Middle and Upper Basalts, and it's the Middle Basalt rock which forms the famous amphitheaters of hexagonal columns in the Causeway.

It is the 2nd most visited attraction in Ireland after The Cliffs of MOher!
Chokk Chokk
Stunning beauty Jun 10, 2011
I quickly came to the conclusion that I had to visit The Giants Causeway. From Bushmills there were only a 5 kilometers drive to the coast and the visiting area of Giants Causeway. The road was nice and I had to stop as soon as I saw the coastline and its beauty.

The visiting Centre is situated next to the little village of Ardihannon, and as soon as you are at the entrance to the parking some young people will meet you and I think they charged me somewhere between 4 and 6 pound for the entrance.

You have the possibility to walk or to take a guided buss the Giants Causeway and I choose for the bus; the weather was constantly changing and it looked like the rain was coming and I didn't have any jacket with me. During the ride that only cost 2 pound for a return ticket another young person told us about the landscape, the myths and the National Trust. The Giant's Causeway is today owned and managed by the National Trust and it is the most popular tourist attraction in Northern Ireland

The Giant's Causeway is an area of about 40,000 interlocking basalt columns and the result of an ancient volcanic eruption. In 1986 the was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO, and a National Nature Reserve in 1987 by the Department of the Environment for Northern Ireland.

The tops of the columns form stepping stones that lead from the cliff foot and disappear under the sea. Most of the columns are hexagonal, although there are also some with four, five, seven and eight sides. The tallest are about 12 meters high, and the solidified lava in the cliffs is 28 meters thick in places.

While I was waiting in the bus to have it filled, a whole bus full of pensioners arrived in the parking and they started to fill the bus. To my surprise they were Danish, but I was not in the mood to get involved so I didn't say anything. The young guy representing the National Trust was quite entertaining and he was very lively in his tale of the legend.

According to the Legend the Irish warrior Fionn mac Cumhaill or Finn McCool built the causeway to walk to Scotland to fight his Scottish counterpart Benandonner. The version that was told to me was that Fionn fell asleep before he got to Scotland. When he did not arrive, the much larger Benandonner crossed the bridge looking for him. To protect Fionn, his wife Oonagh and who was a very wise woman laid a blanket over him so he could pretend that he was actually their baby son. When Benandonner saw the size of the 'infant', he assumed the alleged father, Fionn, must be gigantic indeed. Therefore, Benandonner fled home in terror, ripping up the Causeway in case Fionn followed him. The "causeway" legend corresponds with geological history in as much as there are similar basalt formations (a part of the same ancient lava flow) at the site of Fingal's Cave on the isle of Staffa in Scotland.

The Giants Causeway was truly wonderful, but it would have been great to be there without that many people, but I also guess that it would be quite impossible to arrange since it is the most popular tourist attraction in Northern Ireland. The rain clouds were getting closer and I managed to get access to the first bus out of the area before the rain came.

Historically the discovery of the Giant's Causeway was announced to the wider world in 1693 by the presentation of a paper to the Royal Society from Sir Richard Bulkeley, a fellow of Trinity College, Dublin, although the discoverer had, in fact, been the Bishop of Derry who had visited the site a year earlier.

The site received international attention when Dublin artist Susanna Drury made watercolour paintings of it in 1739; they won Drury the first award presented by the Royal Dublin Society in 1740 and were engraved in 1743.

In 1765 an entry on the Causeway appeared in volume 12 of the French Encyclopédie, which was informed by the engravings of Drury's work; the engraving of the "East Prospect" itself appeared in a 1768 volume of plates published for the Encyclopédie. In the caption to the plates French geologist Nicolas Desmarest suggested, for the first time in print, that such structures were volcanic in origin.

The site first became popular with tourists during the nineteenth century, particularly after the opening of the Giant's Causeway Tramway, and only after the National Trust took over its care in the 1960s were some of the vestiges of commercialism removed. Visitors can walk over the basalt columns, which are at the edge of the sea, a half mile walk from the entrance to the site.
alyssa_ob says:
I really want to go here someday! Great history and information! I always wondered about whether the causeway extended to Scotland. Thanks for clearing that up :)
Posted on: Jul 11, 2011
oriel says:
enjoyed the detailed description and historical information very much. I took my family there about 20 years ago and your description helped to revive my memories of this very impressive place
Posted on: Jul 10, 2011
andymann123 andymann…
Lovely place.. Jun 27, 2011
One of the most fascinating sights ever seen..

if you happen to be in northern ireland.. dont miss this.. :)

Most of the people will agree with me that it looks like manmade thing...

Scientific marvel..
annemw annemw
Awesome place - must see Dec 31, 2010
One of my top things to do in North Ireland was to find the Giant Causeways and some bridge (turned out to be the Carrick-a-Rede bridge). Great time. Great views. Beautiful country. Worth going to.
pjtm pjtm
Giant's Causeway May 31, 2009
Local impressionante, podemos passar horas perdidas a fotografar as colunas. O único contra são as multidões de turistas. É preferível visitar o local na maré cheia, menos gente e mais ilhas de colunas.

Impressive place, one can spend hours photographing the basalt columns. The only downside is the huge amount of tourists. Best seen during high tide, fewer crouds and more column islets.
Causeway general view. Lots of peo…
Columns near the sea
Columns detail
View from the tip by the sea
kc_surfer kc_surfer
Don't Miss! Mar 01, 2008
Recently, I traveled to the Emerald Isle, Ireland. The first two days were spent in Dublin, but I soon heeded the call of the Irish countryside. I rented a car near the airport and headed north. I arrived in Belfast in the afternoon and checked in at a small hostel. I quickly jumped back in my car and followed numerous winding roads to the coast of Northern Ireland. I listened to traditional Gaelic music as I obeyed the signs marked “Giant’s Causeway.”

Before my trip, I’d read about the World Heritage Site in several travel guides describing thousands of hexagonal basalt columns formed during the Paleogene period. In Irish history, the steps are associated with the mythological giant, Fionn mac Cumhaill. It’s said that he built the steps so he could walk to Scotland.

From the causeway center, I followed a paved pathway that leads visitors to the steps. As waves crash upon the rising structures, guests are given the opportunity to explore the area at their own risk. I traversed Fionn’s steps gingerly as pounding rain and wind blew across the sea. Next, I hiked along the coastal path, passing the Organ, whose tall columns are situated in a cliff face and resemble the appearance of a pipe organ.

I eventually reached the car and changed into dry clothing. As I retraced my driving route back to Belfast, I was thankful that I had escaped the city sites for a less trodden journey to a natural wonder.
The Giant's Causeway
aka_pushkin aka_push…
A must see Jul 08, 2008
This site was signed on my map as a place I must visit and in fact the entire trip was changed completely just to go there.

That was totally worth it.

In the most beautiful part of Ireland, with dramatic cliffs and blue sea, you have the most unusual formations that look like something that has been made by the administration of Northern Ireland to get some tourists.

Well, no, it's natural and it couldn't have been more impressive, really.

Apart from the site itself, it would be a good idea to have a long walk along the coast. Just beautiful.

Highly recommended!
Di1985 Di1985
Giant's Causeway, Northern Ireland Apr 02, 2008
The Giants Causeway story...A Scottish Giant and an Irish Giant were to fight in a test of strength, so built a rocky crossing between Northern Ireland and Scotland...It in fact came from volcanic activity!

The Causeway is situated on the coat of County Antrim, it can be quite difficult to get to from Belfast (where I travelled from). We had to get a train to Colraine and then get a bus from Colraine bus station. The buses are not often and we got the wrong bus times for the journey back. I went in August, but the weather was pretty bad, it was pretty warm but raining, probably best to go on a nice clear day. It's definitely worth a visit though!
Steep cliffs!
The view from the top of the cliff

Related Travel Blogs About Giant's Causeway

Stunning beauty
I was not so prepared before my visit to Northern Ireland and I had not read much about it besides a little about Belfast before I arrived. While I took my calm evening at the hotel in Belfast I went…Giants Causeway, which I easily could combine with a visit to Bushmills and the distillery there. From Bushmills…
Walking In The Footsteps of Finn MacCool
We arrived at Giant's Causeway just in time because I was getting a bit antsy because we have been on the bus for quite some time and I really wanted to feel the ground beneath my feet. Before we dis…Giant's Causeway either by walking down the road from the carpark, by hopping on the Causeway
On the Paddywagon Tour!
Mar and I researched so many train and bus day tours from Dublin prior to our departure for Europe. We finally decided to jump on the 1 Day Giants Causeway & Derry from Dublin offered by Paddywag…Giants Causeway, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Learn of the geology but also of the legendary Giants

Compare Bushmills Hotel Rates (5.8km away)

Giant's Causeway Map