Debark, Ethiopia
+251 58 110634

Giant Lobelia Hotel Debark Reviews

Vlindeke Vlindeke
Basic of basic... Dec 26, 2011
Lonely Planet says it is the best place to stay in town. That might be true, but for western standards the Giant Lobelia Hotel is a (very) simple guesthouse. Built a couple of years ago, already a decrepit hotel.

In another (earlier review) of an Ethiopian hotel I noticed that African standards are different from western standards. Especially, in my opinion, concerning the bathroom.

We arrived around midday, the hotel is situated on the lively main road of Debark. Lively means many pedestrians and many animals. Main road means a gravel road. It was an experience for me to see the public passing by. No terrace at home will give this pleasure (although I have to admit watching people, sitting on a terrace, is a great time passing for me!).

We were housed in room 102. First floor, the room right at the staircase. We noticed the broken door handle. Room with basic furniture and provided with a television and… a balcony!! Due to the construction we heard every word, every sound from the street.

The bathroom was another story…. not clean, no curtain for the window, so we, tall Europeans, thought we were ‘in sight’ taking a shower…. at night we found out the shower was not working at all…. so I bothered without a reason.

Another thing which turned out at night was the loud, very loud, television program run at the lobby. And we were staying at the first floor, right at the staircase. Had to wear earplugs to fall asleep.

The lobby, restaurant and bar is one area. We had a drink and watched the local public. In the morning we had a simple breakfast. Rolls, butter, jam, coffee or tea, and scrambled eggs.

We had lunch and dinner across the street, another very simple hotel, with a dining room. As you see the photo of the washing kitchen of the Giant Lobelia Hotel you might understand why.
Giant Lobelia Hotel
Situated on the main road of Debark
Vlindeke says:
Thank you George, by now I don't remember about the price, we stayed there a couple of years ago.
Posted on: Jul 13, 2014
Rover57 says:
Nice review Aneke, its good to get good honest reviews from fellow travelers, because we can then manage our expectations with such hotel standards and know what we can expect, is there room for haggling with the room tarriffs. ?
Posted on: Jul 12, 2014