Giant Beaver Statue.

Beaverlodge, Canada

Giant Beaver Statue. Beaverlodge Reviews

planxty planxty
Did (she) build the Aswan Dam. Mar 17, 2017
I realise that a reference to a massive feat of human engineering in Egypt may seem a strange way to begin a review about a small town in Northern Alberta so let me explain.

We all know that beavers build dams and I reckon the animal pictured could have made a good attempt at damming the mighty Nile as (s)he is huge, measuring an impressive 18' long, 10' wide and 10' high. Even the log is 20' by 5' which is easily believable by Canadian standards where it would be considered merely a branch. So what is all this about then?

It is what I call the "biggest syndrome. It seems a particularly Albertan notion but even the smallest community must have a statue of the biggest one of something associated with the area. I have had the pleasure of visiting the world's biggest pysanka (Easter egg) in Vegreville and the largest Ukrainian sausage in Mundare and these are only a few examples. In the case of a town which is named for the lodges built by the local indigenous Beaver tribe and in turn named for that rodent there was only ever going to be one contender for what the statue was here.

I am no expert on the genus Castor in the animal kingdom (yes, I did have to look it up before you ask) but having studied images now it seems a pretty accurate representation of the creature although extensive research has failed to reveal the identity of the sculptor so I can give them due credit. If any member knows I would be grateful for the information and will amend my review accordingly.

What I know is that it it was unveiled in 2004 as part of the 75th anniversary celebrations of the town's initial incorporation as a village. I also know it was hauled here all the way from Calgary and I do hope they had it tarped or who knows how many accidents it may have caused by incredulous motorists rubbernecking?

It is only a few yards off Highway 43 and is worth a few minutes for the obligatory photo-op and a quick read of the very informative adjacent sign detailing the history of the area.
Giant Beaver Statue, Beaverlodge.
Giant Beaver Statue, Beaverlodge.

Check Beaverlodge Hotel Deals