Ghillie Dhu

Edinburgh, Scotland

Ghillie Dhu Edinburgh Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Ghillie Dhu Nov 05, 2011
 The Ghillie Dhu is a bar with live music and, sometimes, ceilidhs.  It is just beyond the west end of Princes Street, near Rutland Street.  It makes quite a big deal of its Scottish heritage, which is to be expected given where it is  and its name - a Ghillie is a name for the person who manages an estate, or takes care of the aristocracy whilst they are hunting and fishing.  It is the only city-centre bar I’m aware of, in fact, that has open ceilidhs on a regular basis.  And a ceilidh is traditional Scottish dancing which, unlike most people’s traditional dancing, is fun to do even if you have no idea how to do it and are a bit tipsy.  Arguably, in fact, it’s better if you don’t know what you’re doing and you’re a bit tipsy.  But I was not there on a ceilidh night so I can’t really comment.

I can comment on the bar staff, who are friendly and efficient, and the queue at the bar, which was very short for that time on a Saturday.  We arrived just as a live band were finishing, and they sounded quite good.  Drinks prices seemed reasonable.  The bar has lots of comfy booths, which is lovely, and the décor, aiming for the general Scottish gothic feel that goes down well in the city.  We didn’t eat here, but the website mentions lots of three course dinner and ceilidh type packages that, for about the £25 mark, seem very reasonable to me.

All in all, I think this is a good bar to go to whether or not there is live music on.  It is a friendly place with nice staff, and the prices aren’t bad.  I would really like to go back some time when there is a ceilidh on.

Check Edinburgh Hotel Deals