2 Aðalstræti, Reykjavik, Iceland
517 4300

Geysir Bistro & Bar Reykjavik Reviews

e_w_richardson e_w_rich…
Don't Eat the Whale Aug 19, 2012
So funny story, everything my wife and I looked at as far as blogs and websites said that minke whale was a traditional delicacy in Iceland. After going on a whale watching tour we found out the only thing keeping the whaling industry alive in Iceland is tourism. So with that Public Safety Announcement (PSA) out of the way I can describe our experience. The atmosphere is exquisite as it is tucked away from the public square but still offers great views to people watch as you wait for your food. The staff is very accommodating, even squeezing us in with "No Reservations." I ate the fish and chips and was astounded by the tenderness and freshness of the fish. Of all the places I've had fish and chips this restaurant offered the best fish. The "chips" were only adequate, but sometimes nice restaurants struggle with basics like french fries. The reason for the PSA earlier was because my wife did get the mixed salad with minke whale. We'll save you the time, whale tastes exactly like beef. However the dressing was interesting because it was a vinaigrette that tasted very "vinegary." A little on the steep side but a lot of restaurants in Iceland are. Two average entrees and two beers ran us about $60.
sarahsan sarahsan
Great casual restaurant Oct 08, 2010
I had walked by Geysir Bistro & Bar the day before and liked the cozy atmosphere, so I decided to eat there the next day. I was going on a day trip and planned dinner there on my return. I posted on the Arctic TB meet-up forum that I would be there by 17:30 if anyone would like to join me. I had barely crossed the doorstep when someone was calling “Sarah”. It was Harriet, how nice. I was finally going to meet her. She was there with Mark.

Geysir Bistro & Bar is a new bistro housed in the same building as the Tourist Information Centre. Right in the middle of town. The restaurant offers a varied menu of soups, salads, burgers, fish and meat dishes for lunch and dinner. It has both local dishes and some more US-influenced once. Meals are moderately priced, but you can get a 10% discount with the Norden Voyager Card. Geysir also provides internet access.

The décor is pretty cool in white, black and red. The atmosphere is warm and cozy and the service very good. The waiters were friendly, helpful and attentive, but not intrusive. They were always around, so it was easy to get their attention.

I ordered the "pancake with chicken". I really wish they had more in this description to do this wonderful dish justice! It was a pancake filled with chicken, fresh vegetables, cheese, and salsa. Absolutely delicious! Mark had the Fish´n Chips and Harriet the salmon. We were all very happy with our choices.

After our Golden Circle Tour the next day we returned to the Geysir Bistro & Bar for a snack. This time I had the chicken wings with pepper cheese sauce, which was absolutely yummy, Robert and Julie had the pancakes and Alyssa and Harriet the Blueberry Skyr Cake with cream. The presentation of the cake was great. We had another lovely visit to the Geysir Bistro & Bar.

The value for the money is also good, about 2000 ISK/18 USD for a main course and portions are of a good size. They offer special lunch menus from Monday – Friday at a great prices: Eg. Fish of the day for 15 USD and hamburger of the day for 13 USD. All the special offers come with fries, soup and coffee.

The art on the walls are for sale, so why not buy a painting with your dinner!

Overall the food, service and ambience were very pleasant and I would be more happy to eat there again. It became my favourite restaurant in Reykjavik.
Africancrab says:
Yes the cake was absolutely delectable.
Posted on: Oct 19, 2010
sarahsan says:
No worries Alyssa! You will try the main course meals next time!
Posted on: Oct 19, 2010
alyssa_ob says:
That was a nice little place. The cake was fantastic! Too bad I didn't get to try any main course meals.
Posted on: Oct 18, 2010
Africancrab Africanc…
Fresh Icelandic Cuisine and service Oct 09, 2010
Located downtown Reykjavik, the Geysir bistro is in a shopping complex on the second level. Mark and I, met travbuddy Sarah for dinner on our first night in town. The restaurant features simple but fresh Icelandic and more continental cuisine.

The interior is set in a red tone with simple yet brightly painted art pieces on the wall. We took a corner seat by the window. We were received by a pleasant lady with blond and rather stylish hair cut and offered service immediately. We ordered drinks (Mark and I) while we waited for Sarah. I had a mix of rum and hot coffee, while Mark had plain coffee.

Once Sarah arrived, we ordered dinner. I started with a plate of Brushetta. Sarah ordered a plate with pan cakes, I highly recommend you try the pancakes. I ordered salmon, while Mark ordered fish n chips. Excellent choices. For desert Mark and I ordered Irish Cofee, delicious!

The prices I, should say are typical of Icelandic restaurants. The drinks are a little pricely. Mark and I paid an equivalent of $120 for our dinner, but $70 of that was drinks.

It is a great choice for dinner, service was pleasant and fast.
Geysir Bistro in Reykjavik, Iceland
Geysir Bistro in Reykjavik, Iceland
My plate of Brushetta
sarahsan says:
Christian, I hadn´t found the sushi place yet!!!!!!
Posted on: Oct 17, 2010
Africancrab says:
Sarah, the pleasure was all mine. I'm so glad we got to meet after the failed meet-up in Hawaii.
Posted on: Oct 16, 2010
Africancrab says:
Yes drinks were extremely nice. We had a grand time, I was so glad I met Sarah, she felt like a kindred spirit to me. I loved her knowledge and the fact that we had a great time together. Mark thought we had met many times before, just by the way we behaved when we first met.
Posted on: Oct 16, 2010
sarahelaine sarahela…
Geysir Restaurant Jan 02, 2010
Geysir is a relaxed restaurant bistro in the centre of Reykjavik, not far from the harbour. It is in the same building as the tourist office, but open later.

The food is excelent, featuring fresh Icelandic ingredients and a nice wine list. I had lamb in blueberry sauce, whihc you wouldn't think would work but it really does, chicken pancake for starter, wine, and cake; the whole meal came to about £30 a head.

The service was excellent, and the decoration was really pleasant and light. The restaurant was quiet the night we went, but still managed to have a nice atmosphere and good food.

You might struggle with disabled access; there were steps and I didn't see a lift. But I could be wrong.

I would definately go back.

Check Reykjavik Hotel Deals