Getting to Ambergris Caye from Belize City

Belize International Airport, Ambergris Caye, Belize

Getting to Ambergris Caye from Belize City Reviews

poohstanggt poohstan…
Quick Hop to the Caye Oct 03, 2005
Upon arrival in Belize City, you have two options for transportation if you final destination involves the Cayes. There are water taxis that run from the mainland over to Ambergris but I've been told it can take 1 1/2 hours sometimes. There are two airlines, Tropic Air and Mayan, both of which offer flights to Caye Caulker and the San Pedro airstrip in Ambergris.

I've only flown Tropic so I cannot speak about Mayan but Tropic Air's service is great, they offer flights hourly and it's only a 15 minute trip! RT airfare for 1 adult is currently $109. Obviously, the water taxi service cost less but is more time consuming. For me, I am there and anxious to start vacation - I do not want to take the ferry service back and forth.

Ask your hotel when booking a room as some are willing and able to set up your transportation to and from the Caye.

One cool tip is you can hold out for the co pilot's seat on Tropic, but I've learned you have to be pretty darn tall to see over the controls! :-)
kvom says:
Both Maya and Tropic now fly direct from Belize international to Ambergris, so there's no need to drive to Belize City Muni to get to Ambergris.

Between the two airlines there's a flight almost every half hour.
Posted on: Jan 19, 2014
poohstanggt says:
Nope - not us that they were talking about. I am yet to post anything anywhere about the issues we had last year related to Maya or more importantly, the near death experience (serious boating mishap between Placencia and AC) we encountered at the hands of a villa owner's boat captain. Now there's a story! I'm actually working to resolve some financial disputes related to that before I post reviews in my International Travel Column.

And we didn't get stranded in Cancun. It was our flight from BZE to Cancun that was messed up - Maya changed the flight time and didn't notify us so we missed our connection after running through the outside airport grounds during a hurricane. We called Delta from AC and it ended up costing us over $300 that could've been avoided had Maya called us. We literally booked the ticket in person the day before at the San Pedro office so there was no excuse - they assured us we had plenty of time to connect. In general, their CS lacks compared to Tropic and communication is pretty much non-existent. Most of the people I know that go yearly don't like Maya as well due to late flights, change in flight schedules with no warnings, etc. For me, I will just continue to use Tropic as I've always had good luck with them. They even tried to hold a plane for all my friends who missed the last flight to Placencia from BZE after their plane was delayed hours in Houston due to a storm. I was at the muni and they were calling back to BZE to see the status of the flight and whether BZE could do anything. That kind of service earns my loyalty.
Posted on: May 07, 2010
poohstanggt says:
Thanks for the update on new pricing. My flight are usually booked through my hotel, where I know the owners and stay with every year, and they seem to be cheaper rates. Personally, I would never use Maya Island - I have not written a review yet but they screwed up majorly last year during the time change, causing us to miss our connection in Cancun and pay over $300 out of pocket. I will never fly them again and happy to stick with Tropic Air. For the time it takes to do the cab from BZE to Muni - I'd rather pay the extra and leave from BZE. As for the water taxi/ferry - I stay south of San Pedro so it's a hassle for me to go all that way, plus with luggage. Not a fun journey. I like to get there, get to the Caye quickly, and be on the beach with a Belikin with 20 minutes of arriving. :-)
Posted on: May 04, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Getting to Ambergris Caye from Belize City

Day One - Chicago, Miami, Belize...
Day One Left Chicago from ORD very early... 5:40 AM CST heading towards Miami to connect down to Belize. Weren't alot of real good flight choices, maybe beacuse it's still hurricane season (we'll ge…get from Belize City to the island of Ambergris Caye and San Pedro, so he whisks us off.  A very…

Check Ambergris Caye Hotel Deals