Getting stopped by the Nicaraguan police

Managua, Nicaragua

Getting stopped by the Nicaraguan police Managua Reviews

Chokk Chokk
Getting stopped by the Nicaraguan police after 40 minutes in the rental car May 11, 2010
We had gotten our small Toyota Yaris only 40 minutes earlier and most of that time we had spent on finding out of Managua.

When we picked up the car and had to go to the hotel the guy who gave us the car said that he would drive us there because of the police were stopping and fining tourists as soon as they crossed the road. Tourists were a money machine and especially when arriving at the airport.

After that introduction I drove nicely and very quiet out of Managua and towards Masaya. Masaya was on the way towards Granada, and I had only driven 20 km, when a police man stopped me at a police control just after Managua. It didn’t take long to understand that he wanted to fine me for driving too fast even though two trucks had passed me on the way to the road block. My best guess way that he was only looking for rental cars in order to pay for the lunch of his group.

The guy spoke in clear Spanish that I had driven too fast. I smiled laughed and gave him my driver’s license and the papers of the car; he was very clear, he wanted 20 dollar. Barbara my co-traveller and who speaks Spanish took over and stated that it was not true at all, and also with a big smile. I just looked dumb and smiled; a technique that often worked in Eastern Europe.

The first cop disappeared and another one with a friendly face came over and talked to us. He could see the situation and the fact that my travel companion Babs spoke Central American Spanish and could argue clearly made him he let us go.

Learning point; don't give in too easy - sometimes they give in!
Chokk says:
Padraig; it is just a part of the game. You can usually get out of it without paying, well thats my experience.
Posted on: Jun 10, 2010
dothoin says:
don't think it's a good idea to hire cars in countries like this as the police are so corrupt the same thing happens in romania and bulgaria
Posted on: Jun 10, 2010
Chokk says:
I used the two wallet trick too, but it didn't work in this case. Later when I got stopped again I showed my international drivers license and that was a bit succes. It is a booklet with lots of pages in all languages and it really made them wonder - because it looks so official.
Posted on: May 31, 2010