Getting stopped by the Estonian Police (speed, speed!)

Valga, Estonia

Getting stopped by the Estonian Police (speed, speed!) Valga Reviews

Chokk Chokk
Getting stopped by the Estonian Police Feb 08, 2009
Those of you that have been reading my blogs knows that getting stopped by the police seems to happen a lot to me. It almost happens in every country I visit. I should stop driving around in these neon coloured cars.

This time I was on my way to Riga and near to Valga leaving Estonia on a beautiful Sunday early afternoon. My girlfriend and I had joked about being stopped by the police, and nemesis was to hit us fast!

We had already passed one police control without making anything that would focus the attention towards us. Kaija had instructed me in that I had to blink with my lights to the cars coming towards me, because it was "comme il faut" on the Estonian roads, and I must say that a lot of fellow drivers thanked me when I started doing it. I was therefore also alert on if they did it back to me.

Shortly after the last police control I thought that I saw one car blinking at me, but the next two cars didn’t do anything, so I thought the first one was wrong, but it turned out I was wrong.

Yet another unmarked car caught me and a policeman waved me into the side. I was prepared to do my stupid Danish tourist routine; The policeman said something in Estonian and I smiled and said; "God dag" in Danish and gave him my Danish drivers license. I could see in his eyes that it didn't become him well; a foreigner!

He kept talking to me and so did I in Danish and always smiling. I gave him the car papers without knowing if he wanted them. More trouble I could sense in his eyes; it was a Latvian rental car. He walked behind the car and looked at the license plate and shaked his head.

I was still smiling friendly and said Riga, Riga – He looked at me and said; speed, speed. I smiled back and said; speed, speed! - like I didn’t understand! He gave up and said speed, speed again and waved me forward. I smiled back and said nothing and waved him good bye.

I was damn lucky again - the fines are usually huge in Estonia
trippinginnederland says:
Yet another funny one.
Posted on: Dec 28, 2010
Chokk says:
Yes - thats a model I have used now in a couple of countries:)
Posted on: Mar 14, 2009
yadilitta says:
ok smile and speak in Danish ;)
Posted on: Mar 14, 2009