Getting stopped by Slovaikian Police

Cadca, Slovakia

Getting stopped by Slovaikian Police Cadca Reviews

Chokk Chokk
Getting stopped by the police in Slovakia! Jul 19, 2007
I had been driving most of the day. We had left Bratislava in the late morning after a good breakfast at the hotel and my son had asked if we couldn’t visit Polen since we were so close and he had never been there. I told him that we were pretty close - so he wanted to go there. We were already north of Zilina so the Polish border was just around the corner.

The whole day I had been driving behind a lot of Polish trucks and suddenly there was a good possibility to pass them all. I put the pedal to the metal and passed them all, but just after I gotten a smile on my face, I was looking at a policeman in the middle of the road. What now?

I pulled my window down with my friendliest smile back on. "Do you speak English and do you have a driver’s license" the policeman said. "Yes" I said wondering what was going to come next - I gave him my old license Danish licence where I look like a criminal on it - so he looked at it twice.

"Hmm Mr. Ostergaard - do you have any idea of how fast you where driving?" - "Not too fast" I replied with a now a gigantic smile on my face but very uncertain about how much that was.

"Mr. Ostergaard, do you have any Slovakian money? "Yes I have some" I replied and feared a little bit the way this conversation was going. I had just checked when I paid for lunch - I had 2000 in the local currency - almost the same as 75€.

"Mr. Ostergaard - did you see a white truck?" "No" I replied and that was totally true; I passing a load of Polish truck and had been focus on that.

"Mr. Ostergaard - you were doing 129 Km/h - and the speed limit was only 80 km/h! I will have to give you a fine" – Ups was all I could say! I was actually afraid that I had gone even faster.

"Mr. Ostergard, (he kept on using my name all the time; I guess it was something he had learnt in police academy) - That will be 2000 Slovakian money" I was really wondering how he knew that I only had 2000 left in my wallet. After having received the money he filled in the tickets and gave them to me; in all he gave me 4 tickets of 500 each - I still have them - they had number and seal and everything. 1626790, 1626791, 1626792 and 1626793 - pretty high numbers - he must have stopped a lot of people!!

The policeman actually turned out to be a nice and decent guy. He asked me where we were going - we said Polen and he replied that we should take care and don’t drive fast because the police north of the border would just take all our money - without having done anything. He said that we should take care in that city and that city because the police there was well known for taking money from the tourists.

He said goodbye and have a nice day and "drive slower Mr. Ostergaard