Getting into Okarito

Okarito, New Zealand

Getting into Okarito Reviews

seahlk seahlk
Getting into Okarito when you are not driving Apr 19, 2011
Getting into Okarito if you are not driving can be tricky, because Okarito is located some 10km from Franz Josef and Whataroa. There is limited bus services that will bring you to Okarito Turn-off, which is sort of a mid-point between these two towns on the highway.

Always book beforehand if you want to take a bus to/ from Okarito Turn-off. From my own research, it seems like only Intercity list the location on their website. However, Atomic Shuttles also have a service running through Okarito Turn-off. iSite offers great solution if you need assistance for booking or scheduling.

The bus will stop by the cross-junction. Once you alight, you start to walk! It is about 3 km before you come to the Forks. There, it is another 10km of turning and mostly upsloping road to Okarito.

The first 3km to the Forks is mainly forested, so if you are walking under the sun, you need not worry too much about the bright sun. However, once you embark on the 10km trek, the landscape changes. Be prepared to have water and snacks along the way (no bins so keep your rubbish).

Enjoy the scenery to the maximum. Once a while, a car will pass you. Depending on your mood, you can hitch a ride in. You will also pass through the start of Pakihi Trek.

It is probably about 30% of the journey left. Pass by some creeks and then what greeted you will be Okarito Lagoon.

It is advisable to walk in the morning, but the shade will get lesser as you get closer to Okarito. Look out for vehicles on your right (I would keep to the left side of the road), and also check out any wild animals (Kiwis, anyone?!) if you are lucky to spot one.

This is the best way I know to get into Okarito by bus. Besides, if your legs are too tired to continue walking, you can always wait for a car to pass by and hitch a ride in!

Related Travel Blogs About Getting into Okarito

SPCA Greymouth
I will bus to Franz Josef in the afternoon. So what to do in the morning? Walk!  Greymouth is a very small and neat town, so I took a walk to the iSite and along the Great Wall of Greymouth.&n…get into Okarito.  People have told me to hitch a ride but I thought it will be cool…
Kiwis, where are you?
Early in the morning, I boarded the bus to Okarito turn-off.  Once I dropped off at the highway, I started my 13km trek into Okarito. Along the way, I indulge in the natural beauty of the fores…get ready for the adventure in Okarito:  Spotting of a wild Kiwi. Okarito Kiwi Tours: a highly…
From bikinis to thermal pants
Four weeks of action packed, adrenalin filled good times! If ever there was a playground designed for big kids its this country.I didn't get off to the best of starts....having arrived in Auckland in…Okarito, on the coast, and went for a walk to get a view of the southern alps. Hangover, big hill…
Okarito Map