Getting away from the backpacker circuit

Bangkok, Thailand

Getting away from the backpacker circuit Bangkok Reviews

o_mendfornd o_mendfo…
Getting away from the backpacker circuit Mar 17, 2006
Do you want somewhere cheap to stay in Bangkok, that's also convenient for public transport? Are you keen to sample Thai culture, and avoid the Khao San road, aka backpacker central? (I don't understand why people go all the way to Thailand to stay there, when you can pretty much get the same experience back in the UK - and the beer's hardly much cheaper either.)

I would strongly recommend that you consider staying in Chinatown. There are a few cheap places to stay in and around the main train station. It's very convenient for the metro, unlike staying near the Khao San road. You can also wander down to the river to get on the boats. Plus, best of all, you can get a train to the airport for Bt10, rather than paying a taxi Bt400 or something silly. The trains run from 5am till late, so you can connect with almost any flight.

We stayed in the Station Hotel, which is just across the road, and left a bit, from the front of the station. The room was incredibly noisy, because there's no glass in the windows, and the street below is always busy with traffic, but if you don't mind that it's good value at Bt250 a night. There are other options in the area as well, for a bit more money and probably a bit quieter!
thenewextrememimi says:
I stayed 2 nonconsecutive nights in Bangkok (was just passing through on my way to other parts of thailand), once near the train station and once on Khao San. While my 250baht room near the tain station was definitely a "value" accomidation, it was pretty good for the price.

My posh Khao San reservation, however, attempted to rip me off a night's cost and was in cahoots with all the taxis to charge double what it usually is to the airport.
Posted on: Jan 13, 2008
jennethm says:
This is very helpful for people who are planning to go to Thailand, like me! :D
Posted on: Dec 03, 2007
korrahh says:
yeah right on, Khao San rd is the pits! noone interesting there. Cheers!
Posted on: Nov 19, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About Getting away from the backpacker circuit

Travel blog so far
January 03 2007     Oliver. You’re late! Carl barked at me. We had scheduled a meeting to run through the current situation on the recruitment sales pipeline.  I checked my watch…circuits around the airfield. Great fun.   Earlier in the day during my lesson I was flying low over a disussed airstrip next to this orchard. Grant notices a couple…

Check Bangkok Hotel Deals