Getting around Bangkok

Bangkok, Thailand

Getting around Bangkok Reviews

sarinyachotipan sarinyac…
Affordable nice room on the beach May 11, 2010
Room in Phi Phi Island clean and safe just 5 mins walking distant to the beach..and 10 mins walk to the view point at Phi Phi
siam siam
Feb 26, 2007
There are several ways of getting around Bangkok - the BTS (sky train and metro), taxi's, buses (air con and non air con) tuk tuks (3 wheeled motor vehicles) river boats and motorbike taxi's (hair raising) or if you have loads of time on your hands, the patience of saint you can hire a car and drive yourself - not recommended.

If your destination and starting point are reasonably close, the BTS system is great, its cheap, fast, clean and safe. Failing that a taxi is the next best bet, or a combination of both. Air con buses run along major routes, are also cheap but be prepared to spned some time looking out the window while stuck in traffic, I don't recommend the non-air con buses, although they are really cheap, they are usually very crowded, and very hot. Tuk tuk's are an experience you may want to forget, the drivers seem to think they are motorcycle dispatch riders on an emergancy mission, also may of the english speaking drivers specialise in one or more of the tourist scams. River boats run along the Chao Phraya and along the network of klongs (canals) that criss-cross Bangkok, they are cheap, fast and good way to get about if a handy river or klong runs near your route
KimChiGirl says:
I've travelled all over Europe and the US...Hawaii is the closest to experiencing Asia I have ever come to. I tend to over pack...what should I bring??? I will be there in the rainy season...late June, early July.

Also, should exchange my US dollar in the states prior to coming over to Thailand?

Namaste, KimChi
Posted on: May 11, 2013
GrahamF says:
Do watch out for the meter trick! Also fyi, the pink taxis are generally owner operated and they are the biggest scammers of all.
Posted on: Nov 04, 2008
jschmidt says:
DO NOT GET IN A BANGKOK TAXT THAT REFUSES TO TURN ON HIS METER!!

It is a major problem right now and many tourists are giving into their BS. Get out and find another one if you can for the morality of it!!
Posted on: May 16, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About Getting around Bangkok

#64 - OMG, what a day (and night!) in bangkok
i'm pretty behing on updating my blog - i just haven't had as much time & as good of internet access recently, so bear with me!here's the overview of today - i will come back & write more soo…get places around bangkok that i just decided to go straight there - so....by the time i took the sky train…
Travel blog so far
January 03 2007     Oliver. You’re late! Carl barked at me. We had scheduled a meeting to run through the current situation on the recruitment sales pipeline.  I checked my watch…Bangkok . From there, I would head to Auckland in New Zealand for some extreme sports (extreme Ironing anyone?) flowed by the cook Islands and Fiji finally heading to Australia…
Dan, Ben and Steves tour of South East Asia 2002
Wednesday 3rd April 2002 After 10 uncomfortable hours on lufthansa’s finest 747 we landed at Hong Kong’s Chek lap kok airport at about 7am, unfortunately we’d had seats in the middle row so di…around the town. It’s very quiet compared with Bangkok , a pleasant change even though there is not much to do in the evening. We had a few beers…

Check Bangkok Hotel Deals