Getting around Amsterdam

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Getting around Amsterdam Reviews

tjwood tjwood
The Best Parking in Amsterdam for the Tight Wallet Mar 29, 2012
I have traveled to Amsterdam from Germany 5 times now. First trip I took with friends and we parked at the hotel. If we had not been preferred members of that hotel (Hilton), we would have been charged 34 Euro per day for Self Parking.

This caused me to think about the price of parking in Amsterdam. In the city center it becomes very expensive, as high 40 Euro per at a Q-Park I found.

I did research on Part+Ride places surrounding the city and found that most are open air with no security. The Park+Ride site recommends that you print a sign to place in your that says "No Valuables Inside". This leaves me with a not so good feeling about my car.

There is one Park+Ride place I highly recommend and I have used it for the last 4 trips to Amsterdam. Park at the Amsterdam Bijlmer Arena on the bottom ground. There are security cameras for the whole area, a 24 hr duty attendant, and the are is well lit.

The attendant will give train tickets into the city for the number of people in your group. You then take the Zuid (South) exit out and walk approximately 300m to the train station. The ticket is good for one round trip on Metro to the Central Station. You take the M54 train for 10 stops and you are at the Central Station, bottom level. Keep hold of your card as you need it to leave the station and for the return trip.

You can get trolley tickets at the information centers or from hotel concierges. Train tickets from either kiosks or ticket machines.

For those needing their fix there is a Starbucks in the station.

Check Amsterdam Hotel Deals