Getting Around St. Thomas

Saint Thomas, United States Virgin Islands

Getting Around St. Thomas Saint Thomas Reviews

Alishalea Alishalea
St Thomas, Virgin Islands Jul 21, 2011
Watch your pockets! Locals can be shady! Seafood is great but food is super expensive even groceries!! Rum is cheap though and cigarettes are super cheap too! Check out the tiki bars cuz they're super chill. The big beaches are nice but the small local areas are the best if you don't mind some of the ghetto locals.
jhwelsch jhwelsch
Getting Around St. Thomas Apr 26, 2009
Getting around in St. Thomas is a bit of a challenge. I like to be independent so I rented a car. For me, it was the right decision but it's not for the meek. They drive on the left in St. Thomas but the driver's side is not on the right as it us in the UK. Consequently, visibility of oncoming traffic is compromised and you don't have the constant reminder to drive on the left and to look right before pulling out. I had more than one close call! The roads are narrow (and sometimes poorly maintained), the terrain mountainous and taxi drivers in particular like to take their half of the road out of the middle so blood pressure tends to run a bit high. Parking in Charlotte Amalie is at a premium and we ended up taking a taxi from a remote parking lot. All in all, I'd still rent a car next time but not everyone should. Though they are a bit expensive, there are a lot of taxis and you don't have to look for them, they'll be calling to you as you walk along the street.

We took the car ferry to St. John rather than taking the people ferry. Especially with 5 of us traveling together that was the lower cost option but it generated more anxiety than I'd anticipated. Getting on and off was a pain and took a lot of time. The car ferries run less frequently and stop at running 6:00 PM so I felt a definite anxiety about being stranded overnight. One of the reasons I'd wanted my car in St. John is that I'd had some concern about the ability to get a return taxi from Trunk Bay but there again they were begging for passengers so that would not have been a problem. I think next time the car would stay in St. Thomas.
jhwelsch says:
Thanks for the comment & smile. I will admit it's not for the meek but I like the freedom.
Posted on: Nov 26, 2011
HuBison says:
I feel like St. Thomas is so small that renting a car is not the greatest option, especially if someone like me doesn't have the guts to drive on the other side of the road.
Posted on: Nov 26, 2011