Georgian Terrace Hotel

Georgian Terrace Hotel Rates and Deals

Georgian Terrace Hotel Atlanta Reviews

drdougoxford drdougox…
Southern Charm Apr 07, 2012
I checked into the hotel late in the afternoon of a nice sunny day, and what I found was an incredible grand foyer, friendly staff, and an over-sized suite with a separate living room, kitchenette, bedroom and bathroom. Upon entering the room the first thing I would do is connect my laptop to the Internet which I found extremely frustrating but after a call to technical support they were able to get me up and running. The bed was extremely comfortable, and both the living room and bathroom were spacious even though I was traveling alone. If you do decide to stay here I highly recommend the restaurant in the lobby - incredible service, street-side patio view, and the food is incredible.
AshSunday AshSunday
Beautiful facility, great location, poor attention to detail Dec 21, 2009
Although I've stayed in Atlanta on several occasions, this was my first visit to the querulously opulent yet poorly served Georgian Terrace (12/19/09 to 12/21/09). I was seeing a performance at the Fox Theater, which was conveniently located across the street. I think it's important to state upfront that I booked this hotel through an online promotion for a substantially reduced rate ($89/night + taxes and fees).

I pulled my car into the roundabout overlooking the Fox and was promptly greeted by a thickly-accented (non-American) valet, and after a few moments of struggling to understand each other he politely gave me a ticket and I continued to the lobby. The valet was somewhat expensive (about 25 per day plus another few bucks tip each exchange), but I decided to do it because the self-park was only a few dollars less and valet included unlimited access to my car each day.

I was immediately struck by the beauty of the white marble lobby, with towering ceilings, a tall mirrored tree design above the front desk, and a large circular couch in center of the room. There were two clerks working the desk (my time of arrival was about 5PM) and each was serving other patrons. I waited and one clerk became available. I approached him and he looked at me and he asked me to wait a moment. He left and came back minute later, and I continued to wait while he answered a phone. Afterward he apologized, and checked me in. I proceeded to the elevators, conveniently located just past the desk.

I stayed in a Luxury King on the 8th floor (about halfway up the hotel). The room consisted of a small foyer with a hall table, followed by a spacious yet simple bathroom (tub/shower, counter-to-ceiling mirror, simple tiling and rather worn counters, toilet). The toiletrees were natural and eco-friendly, and consisted of shampoo, body wash, moisturizer, hard soaps, and interestingly no conditioner. The bathroom was poorly lit.

The next doorway along the hall was a small kitchen, also somewhat dated and simple, with a full-sized refrigerator, microwave, sink, and lots of empty cabinets. There was a small closet with a stacked washer and dryer (a sign denoted laundry supplies available for a dollar each), and a clothes closet with ironing equipment and an extra blanket. There was also a locked closet which I think was a water heater.

The carpeted bedroom was fairly spacious and consisted a plush king bed with high quality down bedding, a simple desk, and a lounge chair. There were several floor and table lamps (the only overhead lighting was in the hall/bathroom), and a result the room was somewhat dim at night. The two windows (which actually opened) were covered by dented metal blinds and decorative draperies. There was a large flat screen TV which offered basic cable. Wireless internet access is free, however most of the outlets didn't work so I wasn't able to easily use my laptop on the desk and had to unplug a lamp to find a working outlet. The room was quiet with the exception of some hall noise late at night, and the occasional whirring of the heater in the locked closet.

I ordered room service for dinner which was expensive but average for the service, and found the bell-person to be quite friendly and tipped her above and beyond the included 15 or 20 percent tip. I also pre-ordered the continental breakfast the next morning, and later a late-night snack of shrimp, and was quite pleased with all of it. I should note that the reason I ordered in-room dinner the first night was because the hotel's restaurant was completely booked.

The next day I tried calling the valet 4 different times around 11AM, and never once got an answer. I ended up going downstairs and waiting a few minutes while they pulled my car up. That night prior to going to a show at the Woodruff Arts Center, I tried calling the concierge to ask about the best way to get there; I called 5 different times between 5 and 6 PM and never got an answer. Fortunately I was able to call the front desk and get my question answered (I ended up walking although cabs are also available). When I returned that night I stopped at the lounge and had a glass of wine, which was modestly priced at around 7 dollars.

During my check out the next afternoon I was once again stood up by the same clerk as I had at check-in. This time I waited over 3 minutes while he completed a phone call.

Overall my stay was enjoyable considering the deal I got, but if I paid full price I may have been disappointed. I liked the location and lobby and appreciated the free internet; the dining was quality, and the bed comfortable. The poor service experiences I had at the front desk and with phone calls to the concierge and valet may have been a result of short-staffing, but were still uncalled for. The simple and dated aspects of the bathrooms and kitchen areas also bring down what could be a highly luxurious experience. I would also liked to have seen more working outlets, updated cabinetry, a mini bar, improved lighting, and nicer window coverings. If you can't get a deal on a room, I recommend at least stopping by the lounge for a drink to see the beautiful interior of the Georgian Terrace.
Sleeping area at my Georgian Terra…
Eric says:
Hi Andrew -- thanks for your great review and welcome to TravBuddy. Please let me know if you have any questions about how to use the site, and looking forward to more contributions!
Posted on: Dec 21, 2009
Mopetera Mopetera
Sep 11, 2007
The Georgian Terrace is a wonderful hotel in Midtown Atlanta where historic melds with modern and all the rooms are apartment sized suites with full kitchens and even washer/dryers! The front desk staff and concierge were delightful, the bed was dreamy, and the location was ideal for walking to several tourist sites. The hotel is famous for hosting the (White) stars of Gone With The Wind during its worldwide premier (the Black stars had to stay elsewhere as the hotel was segregated at that time). I learned this and many other interesting historical tidbits during my visit to the Margaret Mitchell House and Gone With the Wind Museum, just six blocks away. If you can't book a stay, it is at least worth it to take a peek in the beautiful lobby, where the older wing and newer wing of the hotel are joined together by a modern circular tower. The Georgian Terrace is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places.

Georgian Terrace Hotel Overview

As a historic building, dating back to 1911, The Georgian Terrace Hotel Atlanta offers an Old World style with modern conveniences, all within walking distance of midtown and downtown Atlanta. Guests will find easy access to the dining and night life of midtown, and will only be one mile from the attractions of downtown. The Fox Theater is located just across the street from this Atlanta Accommodation, and the Centennial Olympic Park is less than one mile away. Amenities of the hotel include a rooftop pool and sundeck, a restaurant with outdoor terrace dining, a fitness center, meeting space and a grand ballroom. The Georgian Terrace Hotel Atlanta is approximately 15 miles from Atlanta's Hartsfield International Airport and is within walking distance of the City's rapid transit system.

Guests of The Georgian Terrace Hotel Atlanta will find rooms with amenities such as two telephones with voicemail, high-speed Internet, irons and ironing boards, hairdryers, and coffeemakers. Select suites offer kitchens and balconies.

The Georgian Terrace Hotel Atlanta offers historic significance and a convenient location. Equipped with modern amenities and situated just seconds away from dining, shopping, nightlife and attractions, the hotel is centrally located in the Buckhead/Midtown area.

Georgian Terrace Hotel Amenities

• Ballroom
  • Audio/Visual Equipment
  • Wheel Chair Access
  • Fitness Facilities
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Shower