Geno's Steaks

1219 South 9th Street, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Geno's Steaks - Geno's
Geno's Steaks - One wiz witout from Geno's
Geno's Steaks - One wiz witout from Geno's
Geno's Steaks - Mike and I eating the less than appealing cheese steaks...

Geno's Steaks Philadelphia Reviews

beeKaye beeKaye
Go to Pat's Jun 20, 2011
TERRIBLE STEAKS! PAT'S BLOWS AWAY GENO'S! Pat's is so much better than the crooks at Geno's who stole their idea. Every survey which I have seen has Pat's beating Geno's by around two to one. Skip the counterfeit garbage at Geno's and get the real thing at Pat's. Pat's cheesesteaks are a 10, Geno's are a 0. I would not eat the rotting rat meat at Geno's if it was the last food on earth. Try Pat's first, then Geno's; you will see what I mean.
NJTProadcruiser says:
Ouch! :)
Posted on: Mar 23, 2014
marksreynolds marksrey…
Famous Philly Chessesteak May 24, 2009
Ok, so if you are looking for a place to eat a cheesesteak the way it’s been done since 1966, this is a place you have to try at least once. They say this is the place that first put cheese on the steak sandwich, but the people at Pat’s across the street will disagree.

There are plastic picnic tables outside on the side walk to sit at, if you are lucky enough to find one empty, and you will have to stand in line to place an order through a little window. Make sure you know what you want before you get to the window, because they don’t have time to waste waiting for you to decide. The traditional way is saying what kind of cheese you want and then either “wit” or “witout” meaning with onions or without onions. So, if you want one sandwich with cheese wiz and no onions, you just say “one wiz witout” Once you order, pay for, and receive your cheesesteak from the first window, you move down the counter and order fries and a drink from another window.

This is far from a being a place with fun friendly employees, and courteous service, but that’s not why we came here. We came to have a cheesesteak from one of the originals.
One wiz witout from Geno's
marksreynolds says:
Yes I know, but I haven't writen that review yet! :p
Posted on: May 29, 2009
bwitch16 says:
In my opinion, the South street one was the best bang for your buck; the cheesesteak was big and tasty and the fries were awesome.
Posted on: May 29, 2009
hannajax hannajax
Mar 19, 2006
Though I made it a point to walk more than ten blocks to this landmark, deep in the heart of the Italian quarter of the city, it certainly was not worth the walk, or the freezing cold.

Geno's has been around for ten decades, and is a philadelphia tradition, and being the tourist I am I had to try the infamous Philly Cheesesteak.

Well, this place is very cut and dry. You have a choice of cheesesteak with cheese, or without, curly or no curly fries, and a soft drink. The ribeye, in my humble opinion, was too greasy, tasted very bland (basically it tasted like the day old grease it was fried in - along with the greasy greasy onions) and I had to use the ketchup liberally to choke half of it down. well, i was very hungy, so perhaps that is why i was able to eat more than half.

there is no seating inside, so advisably i would not go if it is very cold, or steaming hot outside. The tables are covered with photographs of celebrities, famous personages that have been past and present patrons of Geno's. Perhaps it's due to me being used to the southwestern style of cooking, with a lot of flavor and spice, that I was not quite so taken, or perhaps everybody that lines up around the block to eat here is wrong, and I am the only one that has any tastebuds.
Mike and I eating the less than ap…
vances says:
Did you get to sample South Street during your visit? Think you would have enjoyed the lively scene there, and you should have scored your cheesesteak at Jim's...much better than Geno's!
Posted on: Jun 30, 2006