Genki Sushi

Genki Sushi - Tempura Roll

Genki Sushi Honolulu Reviews

sarahsan sarahsan
Conveyor belt sushi Feb 02, 2010
Genki Sushi has two restaurants in Honolulu. One is located on Kapahulu Ave and the other one in the Ala Moana Shopping Mall. I went to the one at the mall. It´s a fun place to eat sushi. Nothing fancy, but laid back, just like the atmosphere of the island.

There is a conveyor belt in the middle of the restaurant and you are seated around it. As a variety of sushi circles in front of you, you just pick the one you find tempting. If your favorite is not there, you can order it from the menu. The sushi comes with water and green tea, but you can order other drinks if you like.

The prices are reflected in the colour code on the plates. When you are finished, they count your plates and you take your bill to the cashier.

The sushi was fresh and very tasty. It´s not the handmade kind (the rice was square), but very good. I ate here several times on my stay in Honolulu.
Ebi
Salmon
Tempura Roll
Tempura Ebi
sarahsan says:
You might be right Kong! If I´m not wrong, they do exist in Japan too
Posted on: Jul 18, 2010
almond72 says:
That name seems familiar. I wonder if they are the same people over here too ?
Posted on: Jul 18, 2010
vances vances
Jul 01, 2005
If you’d like a fun dining option while visiting Honolulu, Genki Sushi is recommended so long as you aren’t a food ‘purist’. Located on the same road as the Honolulu Zoo (about one mile “mauka”, or towards the mountains - ”north” for you haoles out there), this eatery serves up sushi uniquely. You sit at a counter while a conveyor belt scoots by with all of their sushi offerings. So once you get a seat there’s no waiting!

We got a real kick out of this presentation, and the dishes were both fresh and well prepared. I’ll grant you this isn’t an elegant diner, but I found that since I don’t parade about Honolulu in black tie & tails it meshed brilliantly with the casual attitude of the islands. The cost of your selections is indicated by the color of the plate it rests upon, so when it’s time to cash out they just count your dirty dishes! There are menus and you can make custom orders, although the colors of those plates are a bit pricier than what circulates on the conveyor belt!

I was told that this a sizable franchise in Japan, recently expanded to Hawaii. It was an experience we enjoyed tremendously during our last visit, and recommended by a friend who lives there (apparently popular as a lunch spot for the working crowd during weekdays). We had a blast and wanted to pass it along so you might enjoy too.
Bulldog1up says:
I do love sushi
Posted on: Apr 03, 2009
scubagirl76 says:
they have something similar in KC too, it's a little train that goes around with the sushi and they also count your plates. I bet the sushi in Hawaii is much fresher though!
Posted on: Jan 11, 2008
scubagirl76 says:
I've actually heard of this place! one of the guys in my husband's squadron is from there and he was just telling us about this place last month.
Posted on: Jan 11, 2008