Generator Hostel London

Generator Hostel London Rates and Deals

Generator Hostel London Reviews

carolinack carolina…
Very clean, fun and cheap ( for a hostel in London) Mar 15, 2013
My friend and I went to London for one night after our exams and we decided to stay at the Generator Hostel.

Firstly, the are is really nice and central, the next Underground station (Russell Square) is in 5-7 minutes walking distance.

Although the price for the two of us 77British Pounds (for a double room) was not VERY cheap for a hostel, I did feel like it was worth it. We got a 4 bed room for the two of us and everything, even the shared bathroom (not unisex, which I found quite nice) was really clean, which I cannot say about many hostels or hotels in and around London.

Breakfast was included.There was cereal, toast, butter and jam.

We met a lot of nice people in the hostel and there was also karaoke on that night in the "Generator bar" which is only for guests. I cannot remember the prices for drinks, although I do think they were cheaper than in other bars.

In conclusion our stay was great and we would definitely go there again!!!

They are fully booked quite early though so you might want to book a room in advance rather than just show up when you arrive in London.
shafieq shafieq
price is ok, quality mmmm is ok Sep 05, 2012
I decided to rate the hotel as good due to the pice-quality balance, i.e. what can you expect for 20-25 Euros? It is near kings cross/St. Pancras (only a few minutes walking), check in took some time but the girl was extremely nice. I booked the Luxury female dorm, and was surprised about the cleanliness and the quality of bed linen (had some bad experience in other places). You know when you book a place where you don't even want to enter the bed?? And that happens in 3 star hotels, this instead is a hostel and I had no worries at all! You also have a lot of place to storage luggage & things underneath the bed, which was compared to other places very spacious and convenient, and clean!

The bathroom needs to get renewed a bit, the water was cold, and the shower was fixed&water "squalshes" anywhere. It is also small for approx 2x12 people!!! Well, I managed to wash myself but this can be improved!

1 guy brought a girl to our room (which i didn't recognize at night, because I was soo tired and slept deeply), and the manager came in the morning, very nice, asked permission to enter the guy room and made the girl go in a gentle but determinate way!

I didn't try the breakfast or other stuff.

If you like to be central, save money on accommodation, don't spend hours in the bathroom then I would absolute recommend this place! There was no carpet on the floor in room 105 and I loved that!

Ps: Bring your own towels!
lexie_7 lexie_7
Fun fun fun!!!! Jul 06, 2011
This hostel was good fun, there's always something to do,and the staff is really helpful. There's a bar downstairs with different activities everyday, but people is not allowed to get in if they're not staying at the hostel.
mirkku387 mirkku387
Party hostel near King's Cross Aug 23, 2011
I stayed in Generator Hostel London for 5 nights in July 2009. First of all, the location is really great. It's a short stroll away from King's Cross / St. Pancras station and the neighbourhood is safe with a good selection of grocery stores and cheap eateries & pubs.

The hostel itself is huge with lots of young people. Everyone seemed to get along pretty well and we spent some time at the common area / hostel's own bar. My intake on Generator Hostel was neither impressed or disappointed. I mean the hostel caters for a certain type of needs.

If you are up for parties and meeting people and don't mind staying in very basic accommodation with very basic breakfast, Generator is a brilliant place! If you are looking for more comfort, look elsewhere. The rooms are small with bunk beds, and at least our room smelled funky. I suppose it was an after scent of a cleaning product and it didn't bother me that much, but it triggered a migraine attack for my friend.

On the planning stage we wanted to stay somewhere lively in a good location (convenient for bar-hopping). Well, our stay would have been very different if my friend hadn't got herself pregnant 3 weeks before the trip. I might have written a completely different review, saying that we have never partied as hard as we did in the Generator Hostel instead of whining of a funky smell...
infernoheat infernoh…
Backpackers' Hostel with young and vibrant crowd Jun 09, 2011
Considering its location and price its a very good option if you are on a budget and willing to sacrifice a little bit of comfort and sleep. I think that it is an awesome choice if you are traveling alone and want to meet new people. It is definitely NOT for families or people looking for a quiet or very comfortable place. Expect nothing more than basic hostel facilities with vibrant and lively crowd staying in it.

Choose this hostel, if:

a. you are a backpacker with a tight budget.

b. you are young and willing to meet other young mates and want to party hard.

c. you can sleep like a log even the whole world is on the fire. The hostel is VERY noisy and on my first day there, I was quite irritated and sleep deprived, but next day onwards I was fine with the atmosphere. Try to take long walks during the day and make yourself tired enough or drunk enough so that you can sleep without giving a cr*p about noise or others.

d. you want to stay in the central location of London and want to have quick access to public transport. The hostel is only 7-10 minutes walk from Russell Square tube station.

e. you are not too fussy about breakfast and fine with eating cereals and breakfast of average quality. Anyhow, its free but if you do not like it you can go to other places near the hostel (like coffee beans is 2 mins walk from hostel itself).

f. you are fine with staying in small room with 4 or 6 persons in it. I had to share a small room with other three persons as better options were not available at that time. You get a small locker in the room to put your stuff.

g. you are looking for free walking tours. There are few people who give free walking tours (in English or Spanish), but you will have to pay them tip at the end of the tour though (which I think is quite good considering they spend few hours in explaining and showing around things).

h. you are NOT expecting anything from a place other than just to have a roof on your head during the night.

i. Though there are very few bathrooms available for each floor, but if you wake up bit early you will not have any problems.

I will highly recommend the place due to its location, atmosphere and crowd.

Hope that helps.

cmlee4 cmlee4
Nasty Hostel Aug 08, 2011
I stayed here for one night of a three night trip in London. Here's my take on this hostel: if you value anything more than cost (such as a sanitary place to sleep), you may be better off looking elsewhere.

This review is based off of a one night stay so my experience may be limited. In addition, my experiences with hostels in general are quite limited. I chose this hostel because I stayed at Generator Hostel in Berlin, and it was a great experience: clean and cheap. I was expecting a similar situation in London.

However, when I walked into our room with my two buddies (both mid-twenties), this place smelt horrible. There were dirty clothes, meat, and dairy products laying all over the room. Did this room belong to a bunch of fratty American college dudes? Nope. Due to the price, a bunch of females were staying here long term (weeks). I was shocked! Every other place that I have been to which has been largely occupied by females has smelt like it could have doubled as a Bath and Bodyworks store.

I'm certain the price had something to do with it. However, the facilities of the room weren't conducive to sustaining long term tenants. I don't know if we stumbled into the long term only section, but it was gross, and we immediately left the room.

If there was one good thing about this place, it got us out out in London quick (and in a reasonable location). However, I could have dropped my stuff in a garbage basket in a tube stop, locked it, and it would have had the same effect.
There's a London guidebook under l…
Planning our escape route.
MaccaD MaccaD
Friendly, busy and a bit of a party hostel! Jul 13, 2011
The Location is great for a start, quick walk to Russel Square or Kings cross tube stations, The people their were great to be around really nice staff except for the Italian Manager who seemed to be a bit of an ass, by coincidence i kept walking into him whist he was abusing his female staff which i did not like. other than him everyone was great, free wi-fi or you can pay to use the computers (about 1pound for 30min) the bar is'nt to shabby at all, popular most nights, but can be loud if you sleep above it. By the way their are well over 500 people staying their at a time due to schools from france visiting bringing 150-300 students at a time and lots of families but they do not hang around the hostel during the day. Saftey could be better, in my 4 bed dorm they had a file cabnet style locker with no way to lock it!! i thought was stupid and the lockers you can pay for that do lock were not working!.
refugeez refugeez
Cool hostel to Stay Aug 04, 2011
The place is completely all right. It has a bar with pool tables and table football, separate dining room and also TV room, including DVD player, a small kitchen, and offering of joint activities like a pub crawl would be nice to make the hostel less impersonal, because it is quite huge and getting know people seems to be difficult. The place is clean, bathroom and toilet are maximally clean and nice. tourists are mostly between 18-25, and the crew as well. So I think if you are still in your twenties it's a good choice.
jamesuk jamesuk
Great lively hostel May 19, 2011
I've stayed in Generator Hostel in London on several trips and have always enjoyed it and would always recommend to others.

If you are looking for a lively hostel with a great bar and very good social side of things, then this is your hostel. Everything here is decent, you can get a good meal for cheap, the bar is cheap and lively, there's stuff on most nights (drinking, quizzes, music), in fact the only worry you have is that you can fall into the Generator trap and not actually want to leave the place.
Level0000 Level0000
nice hostal May 15, 2011
was a good stay, cool staff. Events in the bar every night including Karaoke, DJ's, quizzes. Regular themed parties in the bar. If there is an occasion, Chill out room with sofas and TVs.

Very central location in Bloomsbury - 5 minutes walk from the British Museum.

Free continental breakfast 'all you can eat' for everyone 7 am -11pm

- Free bed linen & drink for everyone on arrival

- Free luggage storage on arrival and departure

- Free lockers in all dorm rooms (remember to bring your own lock)

- Free walking tour at 10.15am everyday from reception
DeeBazz DeeBazz
Excellent location, friendly staff! Apr 15, 2011
I love that hostel! When I go to London, I don't stay anywhere else! It is a great location, on Russell Square station (Picadilly Line) so you can get there directly from Heathrow! Around, there are loads of cafés, restaurants, supermarket, pharmacy and there is a Tesco right in front on the tube station! There are some pubs as well and you are only 5-10 minutes walk to the main train station! It is clean and they now have those renovated girls only rooms which are really nice! I definitely recommend!
evertonforever2 evertonf…
Funky Hostel! Aug 26, 2011
It Is definitely a cool place, very youthful and has that party nature. The rooms are clean and staff are friendly. The location is cool to, pretty much right near Euston, which is VERY convenient!

Would definitely stay here again.
hellowen_21 hellowen…
Affordable accomodation Jun 29, 2011
Location wise, perfect, an hostel with its own bar. Can be quite noisy to sleep in, a lot of young travellers from all around the world and smoking strictly restricted to outside of hostel! No Wifi access but plenty of desktop available for internet access at a small fee. Free breakfast albeit a really simple one though
taylorsean taylorse…
Nice Hostel Apr 20, 2011
It's a perfect place to go spend a great vacation. Staffs are welcome. Location is always a plus. Will recommend this to any travel. It's relatively cheap for a stay in the city of london. Hope you have a pleasant stay at this cool hostel.
corey84 corey84
good location and fun times Mar 30, 2011
I stayed at the generator for approx 1week during this time i had a blast, with the theme party drinking games and on site bar. The food was alright but most of all the location was excellent with just a strolll to russel square tube line.
lois_87 lois_87
great stay! Mar 09, 2011
Stayed here for new years eve, great central location with a bar downstairs where plenty of people partied! Good value for money and plenty of friendly people to hang with and meet!
Sabrina0523 Sabrina0…
Busy Hostel Nov 28, 2010
The Generator Hostel is close to the Russell Square tube station and walking distance to many pubs and the National Museum.

I found the facilities to be very clean, though they were pretty crowded, even in off-season (November). Free Wi-Fi, and there is a very help travel desk that will assist in coordinating day tours or airport shuttles. The staff was very nice and accomodating. Laundry facility onsite, but the dryers are very weak.
aotw aotw
A cheap option Nov 18, 2010
Go to the Generator Hostel in London if you want to be in the center and look for a party hostel.

Do not stay at this hostel if you look for a small family hostel, it has some 800 beds.

Location : Conveniently located at 5 minutes walk from Russell Square underground station on Picadilly line.

Cleanliness : It could be improved in the rooms, there was a basin inside which had never been cleaned during my 4 days stay. The bathrooms were clean for such a big party hostel,

Rooms : I stayed in a 4 beds dorm, the room was a little too small, large lockers inside the room, but some were hard to reach between the door and the bed and you had to be very careful that nobody open the door while you use it.

Can be a little cold as the heater is on only a few hours at night.

Beds : they are comfortable and clean.

The showers : Clean, there was enough hot water and pressure, but only hooks for your staff.

Atmosphere : ok if you like to party at hostel bar, met a mixed crowd of any ages.

Staff : Some were nice and friendly, some other less.

Amenities : excellent amenities, but absolutely nothing is free. No kitchen to cook your own meals but there is a restaurant which serves cheap food (didn't eat there).
The 4 beds room.
Pretty small room.
Soarex Soarex
Cheap and Funny Accomodation in London Dec 14, 2010
The location of this Hostel is great with a lot of different transportation options. From the outside it can look a little bit weird but when you go in everything looks real cool. The Hostel has a very young and fresh style with a lot of colours. It's definetly a young people travelers hostel, not recommended for couples or old people who just want to rest. The rooms aren't too big but they are cousy enough and the 4 or 6 bed bedrooms always give you the opportunity to meet new people. The hostel also has a living room, a kitchen (you can have breakfast almost always included in the price, luch and dinner for 4£) and a nice Bar with nice events everynight. The hostel also offer some good deals like some discouts to Museums if you buy the tickets in the Hostel and also offers good deals in transfers to Aerports as Luton, Gatwick and Stansted.

If you want to meet new people and have fun in London I really suggest Generator Hostel.
lidz lidz
Cheap,fun,great location Sep 18, 2010
Stayed there for 2 nights since I needed something close to the centre and also close to the King's Cross because I knew I will have full bags to carry back to the train.So location is perfect.

Stayed in a room with 4 other backpackers(funny all were from different parts of America). It is clean,well organised and staff is very helpfull.

It is also very secured because you have to show a card to get in. There is always something going on: dress up party,karaoke,disco....

Only bad side that I can think of are super squeaky beds and slammy doors.

But hey,it's a hostel and if you stay only few nights,you can survive!
Displaying reviews 1 - 20 of 33

• Nightclubs
  • Billiards
  • Photocopier
  • Facsimile
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Towels