Gen Roku Sushi

Dotombori-dori, Osaka, Japan

Gen Roku Sushi Osaka Reviews

cmgervais cmgervais
Dinner is served...on a conveyor belt. Mar 30, 2008
Steve and I were walking along Dotombori-dori on Sunday night, stomaches empty, desperate for food. We noticed some places were closing up so we jumped at the nearest place, which ended up being Gen Roku Sushi.

Inside, we were delighted to find two long counters facing a long circular conveyor belt that was loaded with individual plates of sushi and maki rolls in every form. There were two seats available, and we were ushered in and handed a card that described each piece in English. Each plate held two pieces of sushi and cost about $1.30. There was a hot water spout for do-it-yourself tea making, and a bell in case one wanted to order a beer or miso soup.

There were many vegetarian options to be sampled, as well as the fishy stuff. I start with tamago, a sweet omelette on rice, then tried a maki roll topped with a corn salad. I also had to eat Steve's selection of fermented beans, since he couldn't get it past his nose. His favorite was a sushi topped with a tiny crab claw.

I ordered the miso soup, which looked different - dark and inky. There were pieces floating in it and I bit into one thinking it to be tofu. Mistake! Fish - with bones! I ejected the horrid morsel, but the happiness in my mouth was quite disturbed. This is the first time I hav had miso soup like this, and I wonder what I did wrong.

In the end, we had a blast at this place and polished off nine plates between the two of us. It seemed like a lot, but our neighbors were all putting us to shame with their enormous stacks of plates!

I had heard about this "Kaiten sushi" from a friend, but I thought it was just one restaurant (and congratulated myself on finding it in this big city). Then on the way back to the hotel, Steve and I looked more intently into the sushi restaurants we passed ... they all had conveyor belts! So, live and learn ... we were perhaps the last ones in Osaka to learn about the sushi-go-round!
JP-NED says:
I just eat some fastfood! Yammi Yammi!! It was good! But you are in Japan and i'm sittintg here at at home. Do you wanna change!
Posted on: Apr 05, 2008
cmgervais says:
Well, I tried my best, but natto is natto for me :^)
Posted on: Apr 04, 2008
abuglio says:
Oh, natto is great! We eat the stinky beans most everyday (for breakfast, followed by brushing of teeth!).
Posted on: Apr 03, 2008