Gen Korean BBQ House

(626) 407-2858

Gen Korean BBQ House Alhambra Reviews

Cho Cho
Upscale Korean BBQ Restaurant Oct 26, 2016
Actually, we hadn't planned on eating at this restaurant. What happened was we had decided to have sea food on the pier at Redondo Beach. It was the long weekend of July 4th and we ate out a lot during that weekend. For non-American TB members, July 4th is the US Independence Day where celebrations are the order of the day in the whole of the United States.

Anyway, when we reached Redondo Beach, we were shocked to find out that the parking fee at the pier was $30 for that day. Talk about exploitation! So, that's how we ended up at Gen BBQ in the city of Alhambra. My daughter and son-in-law used to live there for a few years so they knew the area well.

We had to wait for 15-20 minutes to be seated as the restaurant was full. Again, I think it was because of the holiday weekend.

The character for GEN means "The beginning" and what a beginning! I cannot even begin to describe the quantity and quality of the meat we were served by the efficient staff. As it is an all you can eat place they were not stingy in bringing all kinds of plates filled with all kinds of good stuff. I should mention though that the Korean food I had in South Korea some years ago isn't anything like what we ate at this so called Korean restaurant. For one thing, we had to barbeque all the different types of meat ourselves. No worries though, my son-in-law enjoyed being the 'chef' and we all enjoyed enjoyed eating to our hearts content as the plates kept coming.

When we finally filled ourselves silly and getting ready to leave, I observed that there were still people in the waiting area. While I was in the restroom the check came and my daughter noticed that they had charged for only three, instead of the four of us. Apparently, they must have thought that that there were only 3 people as they didn't see me at the table. As the old saying goes, "Honesty is the best policy" and when they were told about the mistake, the manager came out in person and thanked us!

The cost was $21 per person (we were charged the dinner rate although it was lunchtime) which I thought was a bit unfair, but here again, since it was the BIG July 4th weekend I suppose every business establishment takes advantage. The normal rate is $16 for the lunch menu on weekdays and $21 for dinner.

GEN is a popular chain of restaurants. I was told they have branches all over Southern California and also in Nevada and Texas.
Restaurant as seen from street
Another view of restaurant from st…
Street outside restaurant
Menu
Cho says:
@Bill: You should try it at least once. You might even end up liking it, like I did!
Posted on: Oct 31, 2016
Zagnut66 says:
I've never had Korean food, but it looks good.
Posted on: Oct 31, 2016
Cho says:
Thank you for taking the time to read it and also for the smiles and comments.
Posted on: Oct 26, 2016