Gelateria Gianni

11 Via Monte Grappa, Bologna, Italy

Gelateria Gianni Bologna Reviews

ingridtrekki ingridtr…
Ice cream to die for...... Gianni's Feb 26, 2017
Emotions, pure emotions. This is what I had when the so delicious flavours arrived in my mouth. Even the word delicious does not describe them, is there a word for ultimate taste?

The website of Gelateria Gianni starts with the words “Once there was a boy who had a dream....”. The world needs dreamers, especially dreamers like Gianni. On his website he writes that he started his business in 1976 and has continued to produce pure ice cream according to the old recipes since. Only natural ingredients and he also lists the regions where they come from, on a map (see photo 3) and on the website: nuts from Piemonte, pistacchios from Bronte, the Sicilian kingdom of pistachios, almonds from Bari, lemons from Amalfi etc. They have many classic flavours and then also special flavours, the latter listed with ingredients on the website. But there must be more because the two flavours I had in addition to pistachio are not listed on their site. It was a flavour called “Il sole” with lemons and oranges (and I swear that I could taste the lemons) and the other one had a funny name which I sadly don’t remember, but it was pistacchio and nutella or nougat cream.

When it came to the price I was astonished: it is exactly the same as anywhere else in town: 3 flavours 3 Euro.

So why look for any other gelateria when this one is very close to the town centre? To be precise: it is just north of the Due Torri (east of Piazza Maggiore), on Via San Vitale where it meets with Via Zamboni, the street which leads into the university quarter.

Oh joy. When I look at my photo, I can still taste the ice cream!

They also have a Facebook page with many photos of their flavours. My “Il sole” is among them, but I couldn’t find the name of the other flavour.

Update, October 2014:

Already when I was there on a Tuesday, the place was full with people waiting for their turn. But I was slightly shocked to read how packed it must be on Sundays, given @Leics' experience. So plan some time until you receive your gelato.
Maurizioago says:
I had a very good ice creat at Gianni' s last week!

Ciao!
Posted on: Mar 03, 2017
Toonsarah says:
I remember that you recommended this place when we went to Bologna, and it was indeed excellent gelato!
Posted on: Feb 27, 2017
Maurizioago Maurizio…
Gelateria Gianni. Jan 15, 2017
Gelateria Gianni is a ice cream place recommended by two VT friends; Trekki and Leics in their VT Bologna' s pages. I founded it

by chance and I decided to have a couple of ice creams scoops. I don't remember which flavours I choose the first time I visited Gianni' s. My ice cream was really good.

The second time I went there I think I have a scoop of coffee flavour ice cream and youghurt. I am not sure. I liked it very much. The scoops were big.

There are three branches of this gelateria in Bologna. I went to that one besides the two towers. There aren' t any chairs to enjoy your ice cream there, but you can eat it outside under a portico sitting on a stone wall.

Try a ice cream at Gianni' s if you are in Bologna. It is worth!
Maurizioago says:
I went there for the third time!
Posted on: Mar 04, 2017
ingridtrekki says:
Oh good :-)) I feel honoured that you went there based on our recommendations :-))
Posted on: Mar 04, 2017