Gel Gör Cağ Kebap (Şakir Usta)

Orhan Serifsoy Caddesi 4, Erzurum, Turkey

Gel Gör Cağ Kebap (Şakir Usta) Erzurum Reviews

HORSCHECK HORSCHECK
Gelgör Cağ Kebap (Şakir Usta) Jun 02, 2015
This place was recommended to me by a Turkish friend of mine. On my trip through Eastern Anatolia in June 2015 I decided to give it a try as the dish Cag Kebap is said to be originated from the Erzurum Province. It consists of special marinated slices of lamb, which are piled on a spit (cag) and horizontally cooked in front of an open fire.

From the outside the Gelgör restaurant looks kind of inconspiciuous, but it is quite large, clean and modern inside. I didn't recognise any other tourist, but many local people who enjoyed their dinner here.

For me it was interesting to see that they don't have a menu, as the only available dish is Cag Kebap anyway. So as soon as I had taken a seat, the waiter brought the side dishes consisting of salad, different kind of sauces and bread. To drink I ordered Ayran, which the local people also drank with their meal.

The waiters didn't speak any English, but it wasn't too difficult to understand the procedure. As soon as the open kitchen had prepared some lamb spits the waiter distributed them from a plate to the people at the tables. As soon as I had finished one, the waiter came and brought a new lamb spit until I said that I was full. All in all I ate 4 Cag Kebap.

There is also just one desert available. It is Kadayif Dolmasi, which is a kind of deep fried pastry filled with unsalted cheese and a mixture of nuts.

The Cag Kebap and the Kadayif Dolmasi were absolutely delicious and I can say that this was the best meal on my trip. The bill listed the following prices: 7,50 TRY for one Cag Kebap, 6 TRY for the Kadayif Dolmasi and 3 TRY for the Ayran. The side dishes were free of charge. Compared to my other dinners in Eastern Turkey this restaurant visit was slightly more expensive, but for me it looked like that the quality of the food was also a bit better.

Directions: Gelgör Cag Kebap can be found at the southern end of the street Orhan Serifsoy Caddesi, which is the street leading to the train station near the northern end of the city centre.
Gelgör Cag Kebap (Sakir Usta)
Gelgör Cag Kebap: Cag Kebap lamp …
Gelgör Cag Kebap: Kadayif Dolmasi…
german_eagle says:
Looks delicious. In my experience it's better for restaurants to concentrate on a few dishes than trying to have a long list on the menu.
Posted on: Mar 14, 2017