Geikie Gorge National Park - Darnku

via Fitzroy Crossing , Geikie Gorge Natl Park, Australia

Geikie Gorge National Park - Darnku Geikie Gorge Natl Park Reviews

koala koala
Nov 21, 2006
18 km away from Fitzroy Crossing is the beuatiful small Geikie Gorge National Park.It was named after Sir Achibald Geikie, butthe traditional owners, the Bunaba people call it Darnku.

It is a beautiful and spectacular ravine in the Kimberleys. It was formed by the Fitzroy River during the rain time withpowerful massive waters. Over thousands of years the river dug 14km in lenght and30m in depth aravine out ofa fossil limestone reef . The water and the sun bleached the rockof the ravine up to10 to 12 m. The Gorge has constantly water, the vegetaion is sumptuous. You can spot a lot of willdlife but like with all wildlife you have to be patient! We saw some wonderful birds and Wallabies, also Fruit Bats,Dingo, Herons, Ibis, Darter, Kites and Brolga areinhabiting this park.

In the water are not just numerousFreshwater Crocodiles, we were told that there also sharks and prickskates, which adapted over millions of years to the brackish water.They say in some areas you can swim - I did not want to try that. I think there is far too much "stuff" floating around the water! ;-) River Red Gum and paper barks form dense riverine forest are to be seen and some areas are covered with Passionfruit vine. When I saw the rivervine vegetation- the thick greenery I thought that looks really interesting and it would bepart of the faunabut I had to learn that this is unfortunatley a big weed problem the Fitzroy River is infected with. Of course they did not tell us about it when we were there at the information shelter - I found out about it on the web. I was interested to find out what kind of plants are growing there - it looked very unique. Now I know beside the native plants,Rampant climbers that choke native vegetation, thorny shrubs, grasses with hooks and burrs that attach themselves to anything that touches them and are spread that way. I am not sure if they have a chance to win this "war" to get rid of the weed but I am really hoping thatthey do. Okay enough depressing stuff, unfortunately I have to be realistic and see the damage humans are causingand it really depresses me because nature is so unique and special and it makes me sad when people treat it like it can be replaced any time!

Okay I do not want to end my review with a depressing story.

We were there in November and the weather was fine butnoboattours were offered anymore - end of the season. To get all the information you need you should stop in Fitzroy Crossing - Camping is not allowedbut there are accommidations in Fitzroy Crossing. The entry is free and there is plenty to do -they have two lovely walks you can do, thereare BBQ facilities, public toilets and shaded and sheltered areas - simple agreat place to relax!The park isopen from 6:30 am to6:30 pm.

The best time to visit is April to early November because after that it is quite possible that the road into the park is flooded.When the Fitzroy is in full flood during the wet season it covers the whole national park. The floods rise over 16 metres up the gorge walls.
londonstudent says:
I so agree with the sentiments in your final paragraph. Tourists need to understand things as they really are, and not live in some fantasy world!
Posted on: Jan 15, 2007