Gedongsongo Temple

Ambarawa, Indonesia

Gedongsongo Temple Ambarawa Reviews

yuness yuness
"The Hindu cultural heritage" May 09, 2013
So after visiting Palagan Ambarawa, I want to now visit Gedongsongo temple complex, I had got friendly with some tourist who wanted also to visit this complex, so I found a minibus and driver who offered us IDR 20.000 each to get there together. So we agreed to the price. It is Approximately 45 minutes journey to the start of the complex, here the driver stopped at the parking area especially for buses, from here my friends want to make there own way to the temples, so I hired a driver and motorbike because temples are still far away, I paid IDR 15.000.

When I arrived at the complex entrance and first temple, I bought a ticket to enter which cost IDR 7.500 for nationals and for tourist IDR 50.000. Here you can choose to walk to each of the other temples or hire a Guide with a horse at a cost of IDR 50.000 to visit all nine temples. I chose to walk.

Gedongsongo temple is one of the main tourism attractions in Central Java Province. It’s location in Bandungan,Ambarawa- Semarang District. Approximately 2 hours drive from the City of Semarang. The temple complex is called Gedongsongo because of its Nine temples, the meaning “Songo” is nine in Javanese. The Nine temples are many kilometers apart and they are all of Hindu cultural heritage, they are set in some of the most breathtaking scenery. This temple complex has similarities with the Dieng temple complex in Wonosobo. Both are also situated at an altitude, Gedongsongo is about 1,200 m above sea level so the air temperature is quite cold here.

In the Gedongsongo Temples, visitors do not need to wear any sarong or scarf like in other Hindu temples...because they are not used for and ceremonies anymore only enjoy of the temples and the very beautiful natural scenery that is all around the temples. There is are charming panoramas of the forest, scenic hills and beautiful gardens.

After looking around the first of the interesting Nine temples, It is time to move onto the next, the way is by paths that are long, and don’t think because the air here is cooler, that walking to each temple is easy! Its not! You will still get hot and tired, so it is the intention of the management, to have horses and guides for hire, to help visitors who are not able or willing to walk so much and become tired and weary. The pathways to the other temples do climb high, you will need to be strong physically. But for visitors who like a challenge and also want physical exercise, better walk like me

The way to the site of the second temple is of a winding and uphill pathway, through a pine forest that is steep enough to make your legs shaky and tired, but it is paid off when you arrive here, as you can enjoy the beautiful scenery all around. Here is lovely to stop awhile to rest and enjoy. It took me about 15 – 20 minutes to get here. I took a break at this temple myself. Between Temples 3 and 4 the ground contained some small craters with the source of hot water/mud with a high sulfur content. Sulfur smell is quite strong and pretty thick cloud of smoke bellow from them.

The temples from 5 to 7, are deep into the forest and are very similar to the first ones but are in a more broken state of repair...I decided to finish the trip to the temples here at 7 and don’t continue the next temple which is on the top of the mountain, I was getting sun burned already, and my skin is dark but I was feeling the power of the sun even in this cooler atmosphere, the air is thinner high up here, I’m already tired. So best I return, also the time is getting late and I need eat and drink before continuing my return trip on this day. I went down the parking area, here there is a Cafe, I order some Noodle Soup and hot tea, taking a break of 30 minutes, after lunch I looked for a driver and motorcycle for rent, to get me back quickly to Ambarawa city because I must be in time for my tour bus back to Semarang city.
yuness says:
Thank you Jeremy,Anupa,Cho and Nancy for the congratz last month..I'm sorry I didn't come on TB for a long time. Hope you are well..Hopefully I will be on a little bit more this month as I'm on holiday now :-)
Posted on: Jun 14, 2014
Nana_gincin says:
Congrats on your feature review Yuyun about an amazing place! Well done :)
Posted on: May 21, 2014
Cho says:
Yuyun, thank you for this review and congratulations on it being featured!
Posted on: May 21, 2014

Compare Salatiga Hotel Rates (12.7km away)

Ambarawa Map