Gealic Sports

Gealic Sports - Gaelic Football

Gealic Sports Dublin Reviews

jameshendicott jameshen…
great local entertainment, unique experience to most Dec 17, 2010
Gaelic sports are something I've grown to love over my time in Ireland, though I do struggle to follow the hurling at times.

Croke Park is far from the only place to watch this, but bear in mind that it's very much a summer sport, and that the bigger games will sell out. The smaller, early season ones are easier to get into and far more affordable. If you come at the end of the summer, though, try checking out some of the club games instead of the county games.

Gaelic football uses a cross between football and rugby posts, and has rules that involve bouncing or kicking the ball every so many steps, and a scoring system that gives teams 3 points for every goal and 1 point for every kick over the post. It's generally pretty competitive and tactical, very good fun to watch.

Hurling is a little more difficult to follow, though perhaps technically more impressive. It uses the same scoring system as Gaelic football, but many of the points are scored from vast distances using huge club-like sticks. Hurling's also more aggressive, and all the players where big helmets to protect themselves from the ball. A good comparison to more famous games might be Lacrosse.

Go for the atmosphere, though!
larskroese larskroe…
Gaelic Sports Jun 17, 2009
Last weekend I visited Dublin. I had a really great time over there. I did a lot of fantastic things, but there is one thing I would recommend to all of you guys visiting Ireland. Going to a game of Gaelic Sports.

For 25 euro I bought a ticket for a day of Gealic Sports at Croke Park in Dublin. This is a magnificent stadium in the north of Dublin.

With its capacity of almost 83000 people it is one of the biggest stadiums in Europe.

We (me and my friends) got to the stadium at 13:30 and it wasn't really loaded with people, but while the time passed more and more took a seat in the stadium. The first match started at 14:00 and it was Hurling. An amazing sport, its looks like a sort of mix between hockey, baseball and rugby but it isn't. There is one big pitch, two teams of 15 players, a lot of sticks and lot of screaming fans. I can tell you that it's a wonderful combination.

After this great match of a sport I've never seen before, I was really looking forward to the next game. The second sport on the programme was Gaelic Football. This was even more popular among the locals in Dublin, we were watching with almost 80000 fans. Gaelic Football is again a sport that is only played in Ireland. It is super fantastic!

I am so excited to tell about these sports, but the only way to know what I mean is experience it yourself.

So get your ass to Croke Park and cheer for Áth Cliath (Dublin Gaelic sports club)
Croke Park