Gator Nuggets and Frogs Legs

US 41, Everglades, USA

Gator Nuggets and Frogs Legs Everglades Reviews

thenewextrememimi thenewex…
Oct 28, 2006
I'm really into eating bizarre foods you can't get anywhere else, so my Everglades trip just had to include eating gator. Luckily, we found this great little restaurant right across US 41 from Shark Valley. It was Native American run and the menu had a nice little blurb in the front about the local tribe in the area. Besides the usual fare of burgers and sandwiches, they served the ultimate Everglades platter touted as a sampler plate of all the traditional and Everglades-specific foods. It consisted of gator nuggets, frogs legs, this donut/fried bread type thing that supposedly was a traditional staple of tribe, cole slaw, fries and some other stuff i can't remember. It was a humoungous platter. It really didnt taste great or anything, and I really can't say how "traditional" the food really was. I kinda get the impression that only other bizarre-food obsessed tourists like me would ever eat some of the things on the platter. But it was awesome nonetheless.

I did think the alligator I ate in the Amazon (Iquitos, Peru) was much better than the gator served here. The gator nuggets in the Everglades were rather gamey instead of meaty and chickeny like in Iquitos.
Please don't eat me!