Gate Towers, Town Walls and Ramparts of Rostock

  based on 1 review   write a review

Rostock, Germany

Gate Towers, Town Walls and Ramparts of Rostock Reviews

Kathrin_E Kathrin_E
367 reviews
Gate Towers, Town Walls and Ramparts of Old Rostock Jul 01, 2009
Kröpeliner Tor, the western gate tower of the old town on the street to Kröpelin, is the only of the four preserved gate towers that is preserved in its more or less original medieval shape. It was built in the 13th/14th century in brick gothic and has a height of 54 m.

The old town fortifications are partly preserved along the southern and eastern edge. The most impressive parts can be found in the southwest between Kröpeliner Tor and Schwaansche Straße. Outside the town wall we still have the ramparts, now turned into a park, and further below a rest of the deep moat which once surrounded the city. The park along Wallstraße west of Steintor has been turned into a rose garden. The open field between the rows of trees is planted with thousands of roses - a pretty spot to relax in summer.

Steintor, the gate tower on the southern side of the old town, used to be the main entrance of the old town. It received its present appearance in 1576/77 when the facades and roof were redesigned in renaissance style. Above the gate, the crests of the city (golden griffin on blue ground above a silver and white field) and the Duchy of Mecklenburg (black bull’s head) are shown - a small version on the outer side, a more elaborate and larger version on the inner side together with the Latin inscription, Sit intra te concordia et publica felicitas (may there be unity and public happiness inside you, i.e. the city).

The adjacent Ständehaus was the seat of the Landstände, the parliament of the Grandducate of Mecklenburg. Grandduke Friedrich Franz II. had the historistic building erected in 1889-1893.

East of Steintor a longer part of the city wall in more or less its original height, a fortification tower and another gate tower are preserved respective rebuilt. The tower, named Lagebuschturm, was built in 1577, the same time as the Steintor. The smaller Kuhtor further east was first mentioned in the 13th century and is the oldest remain of Rostock’s fortification.

Towards the bank of the river another town gate has remained. Mönchentor must have been redesigned around 1800, it shows purest neoclassical style.
Kröpeliner Tor
Kröpeliner Tor
Park on the former ramparts
Steintor
Link
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!

Check Rostock Hotel Deals

Check-in:
Check-out:
Guests:
Rooms:
Rostock Map
Rostock
photo by: Kathrin_E