145 - 332 Water Street, Vancouver, Canada

Gastown Vancouver Reviews

pacificscorpio pacifics…
Gassy Jack's Gastown, Vancouver Jul 10, 2010
Vancouver began here in 1867, the same year of Confederation of Canada. The area was originally named after saloon owner and first settler "Gassy" Jack Deighton.

The area now is a mix of old and new,restaurants, entertainment, courtyards, Victorian era buildings, gaslights and cobbled streets, something for everyone.

I took pictures and video of the world's first Steam Clock. I was able to get a short video of its sounds at the half hour mark.

It is a replica of an 1875 clock, it has a cast bronze case and weighs over 2 tonnes.

Gassy Jack's saloon was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1886. The fire completely destroyed Vancouver, only two of the 400 original houses were left standing.

The Europe Hotel, was built in 1892 was the finest hotel in town, it was the first fireproof building in western Canada.

Several galleries of native art and sculpture

are also here.

300 block of W. Cordova Street is one of Vancouver's best kept secrets. Fashion and funky places to eat can be found here.

A great place to take a walking tour of Vancouver. From here I went to Canada Place, to take some pictures of the Cruise Ship Terminal.
Dr_Seuss says:
Nice review, 300 block of W. Cordova Street won't remain much of a secret now :D
Posted on: Jul 18, 2010
shirlan says:
Congratulations on the featured review. :-)
Posted on: Jul 18, 2010
peppertm peppertm
Gastown- a cool neighbourhood Aug 06, 2007
Probably best known for its cobbled streets and the steam clock, this is a great place to visit. Gastown, originally named ‘Granville’ was established the same year that Canada became a nation (1867). 19 years later, in 1886, Gastown was incorporated into Vancouver. Despite a rough patch during the 1930’s, it’s been a thriving, popular part of Vancouver ever since.

Gastown is inhabited by tourists, residents, and office workers. It’s a very busy area to be in, with lots of people walking the streets, looking at the many shops and tourist stores that make up a lot of the neighbourhood. You’ll also find many restaurants and nightspots, and really great looking buildings, some of which are residences, some of which are offices.

My favourite restaurant, which we ate in while visiting the area, can be found in Gastown. I recommend The Old Spaghetti Factory to anyone I talk to. It is so great (I’ve written reviews of it in other blogs).

Gastown is by the water, with the easiest way I can think of to get here is by getting to Waterfront station (probably by the sky train) and then walking from there. Gastown’s main streets are Water and Cordova.
The steam clock
I love that building

Related Travel Blogs About Gastown

Day One - Vancouver
Day One - alright, I've only got a few hours to spend in Vancouver before I'm off to the Okanagan with some girlfriends... what is a girl to do!?! Well if you're anything like this girl you grab your…Gastown.  Besides housing the waterfront station where pedestrians can catch the seabus up to North Vancouver, Gastown is full…
Sacre Couer and Pere Lachaise
Another great complimentry breakfast sooo good. Then we went to the Musee d'orsay which I would say contained more of Mike and I's taste in art: more monet, van gogh, etc. I could spend days there…Gastown, Vancouver as well as Naniamo. such a small world. I think he may have given us a discount too, but still…
Vancouver, BC, Canada: April 2007
Day 1 – Vancouver in Spring Green green and green!!!!! Flowers are blooming. The field is filled with Tulips, Daffodils and Dandelions. My first day out in Vancouver was such a lovely…Vancouver. Then we walked to Gastown. This street is filled with souvenirs shops, cafes and restaurants. The landmark of this…

Check Vancouver Hotel Deals