Gasthaus Zum Domreiter

5 Dominikanerstraße, Bamberg, Germany - 0951/5193696

Gasthaus Zum Domreiter Bamberg Reviews

dougal dougal
Dec 29, 2006
I'm going to have to try and find ways of describing bars and restaurants in this part of the world without using my stock phrases of things like warm, traditional, hearty etc.

Unfortunately for my desire to branch out in prose terms Zum Domreiter is all of these things and none the worse for it. We were initially heading elsewhere to eat but as they were busy we ended up here. It's a typically Bavarian restaurant with wood panelling everywhere and the hearty rustic food that you'd expect.

What makes this place stand out was the efforts they had obviously gone to with the decoration. We visited at the Christmas period and every inch of the walls and tables was covered in decorations. There were Christmas trees everywhere (literally every inch of wall space had one attached to it) and baubles and candles hung from every available vantagepoint.

Obviously this was only a seasonal thing but apparently they usually project images of old Bamberg onto the walls in the rest of the year which sounds an interesting idea.

The service was friendly enough although having brought me the wrong main course the waitress commented that as it was vegetarian it all seemed the same to her - typically Bavarian where not eating meat is unheard of!!

Check Bamberg Hotel Deals