Gare du Nord

Paris, France

Gare du Nord Paris Reviews

perelachaise perelach…
Thieves at the Gard du Nord, Paris Jul 25, 2010
Be very careful at the Gare du Nord (GDN) in Paris. GDN is a huge sprawling train station with fast trains to Belgium, regional (RER) trains, and metro subway stations. GDN is infested with pickpockets and thieves. It is easy to get lost at GDN. I lived in Paris for one year and have seen numerous problems there.

The cheapest way from CDG airport to Paris is an RER train to GDN. When you arrive at GDN, you will see numerous guys standing around (obviously not taking the train) watching you. They are very interested in you, because you are fatigued, lost, and trying to lug up large suitcases up the stairs.

Once I was waiting in line at GDN to buy a metro ticket with a small suitcase. When I got to the front of the line, a young man insisted in asking a quick question to the teller. I told him 'no'. He argued, I then said "ok". He started yelling at the teller. I turned around and looked to the right and saw his buddy standing right there smiling. They were trying to create a diversion, grab my wallet or suitcase, then run. They backed off; I was lucky that day.

Another time I met a friend at the airport, and we took the RER train back to Paris. When we were going up the stairs, some guys were behind us, reaching into my friend's purse. Some other ladies warned us. I made eye contact with them.. they didn't even care - very blatent about it.

If you are a tourist, I would not take the RER train to GDN. When arriving at CDG airport, take a taxi for $50 or take the Air France bus to Etoile, then take a taxi. The uppper part with Eurostar and Thalys trains is safer.
rai20 says:
Hi, I will visit Paris on Sept 7. at gare due nord and i was wonderign whats the best way to get in to city center of paris near the eiffel tower and i was wondering if you knew where i could buy the paris visttee pass
Posted on: Aug 08, 2011
Chokk says:
I have been there many times as a tourist, sometimes at least twice a day at conferences. You have to take care but it is not worse than any Central Station. You have to take care - dont flash your wallet, but have change in a pocket.
Posted on: Nov 24, 2010
fransglobal says:
I agree completely that the Gare du Nord is dodgy. However, I don't think it's so bad that people should avoid it altogether. Thousands arrive everyday, with the high speed Eurostar trains from London, and the Thalys from Brussels etc arriving there. Also coming from CDG on the RER, you don't have to get off at the Gare du Nord, you can continue on to the Left Bank at Luxembourg RER Station and other more safer stations. No need to get a taxi.
Posted on: Jul 25, 2010

Related Travel Blogs About Gare du Nord

London again
Nita & I arrived Heathrow at night of 10th of Sept 2011. We took the Heathrow Express to Paddington (18GBP if i was not mistaken)as we have made a booking from a Malaysian lady who deals with apa…paris, Gare Du Nord. The ride took us about 2hrs 45min to get from London to Paris. Seats were comfortable…
France
France is a country located in Western Europe.  Officially the French Republic but many just called it France, just like me. France also comprises various overseas islands and territories locate…Paris (Gare du Nord). It feels like any normal train ride. The staff notifies the passengers when the train is entering…

Check Paris Hotel Deals